SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by o.pwuaioc Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:23 pm

I decided to eschew US titles and went JP only. I only have two US titles, Rayman and Virtua Cop. The rest are JP. For RPGs, there are guides and/or English patches, so this really isn't a problem.

Anyway, here's my short collection.

Albert Odyssey Gaiden: Legend of Eldean
Azel: Panzer Dragoon
Dragon Force
Dragon Force II: Kamisarishi Daichi ni
Layer Section
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Rayman (US)
Shining the Holy Ark
Shining Wisdom
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Terra Phantastica
Thor: Seireioukiden
Vampire Savior
Virtua Cop (US)

Of these, the Strikers and Vampire Savior get the most play. The more Strikers I play, the more I think it might be my favorite shmup on the system. I love its consistent pacing and variable starting positions.

Also, and this might belong in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I sold Nights into Dreams with no regrets. That game bored me senseless. Anyone else?
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:17 pm

MulishaSoldier929 wrote:
pierrot wrote:
sp957 wrote:Need some good co op games and 2 player beat em ups. Does the Saturn have any good ones?

Not a ton of beat-em-ups on the system, and most of them are fairly expensive, but you might want to look into Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade (Dynamite Deka) Tenchi wo Kurau II, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, and Nekketsu Oyako.

For other co-op: Herc's Adventure. (Lucas Arts game, similar to Zombies Ate My Neighbors.)

Going to add Three Dirty Dwarves to that list. It is an amazing game and is 1-3 players! Its also very amusing. Pick it up if you can.

Good call. I was wary of adding that one, as I've not actually played it before.

o.pwuaioc wrote:Also, and this might belong in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I sold Nights into Dreams with no regrets. That game bored me senseless. Anyone else?

That makes me sad. :cry: Nights was one of the first games I owned for the system, outside of the bundled 3-pak, though. Lot of memories playing that, Sonic Jam, Sonic R, and Virtua Cop 1 & 2 as a kid.
SonicEchoes

by SonicEchoes Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Xboxsegafan187 wrote:Nice Saturn collection sonicechoes. Don't fret I got most of my Saturn games about 7 to 10 years ago when prices were not that crazy yet so your collection is more than sufficient.
As for your memory Save erase for Dragon Force that sucks to here fortunately Dragon Force is a game that begs to be played more than once.

If you want a real challenge start with Leon that in it self you need to level up your generals pretty quickly as you are attacked on all sides. then again Teiris is pretty tough as long as you don't try to invade the south I freaking hate the archers aside from trumping Harpys they are pretty much useless as well as the mages equally as garbage.

Yeah I noticed the Archers get wiped out! It's useless having a huge army of them too since only the front row attack. The game was challenging for me with her.. so I may not attempt Leon right away! I was wrongly assuming she would be "easy mode." Who's a good starter?

And second, is it worth getting Shining Force 3 even if its incomplete? Not too interested in Japanese imports minus fighters.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:31 pm

pierrot wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Also, and this might belong in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I sold Nights into Dreams with no regrets. That game bored me senseless. Anyone else?

That makes me sad. :cry: Nights was one of the first games I owned for the system, outside of the bundled 3-pak, though. Lot of memories playing that, Sonic Jam, Sonic R, and Virtua Cop 1 & 2 as a kid.

Yeah, it's not for me. I even had my wife play it to see if she would like it before selling it. It's just...plain. More like a tech demo than a real game. I gave it several shots, and, funny enough, it was also the first game I had for my Saturn (I never owned a Saturn until recently, though).
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Shiyouganai ya.

I don't know if I could really explain why I loved it so much as a kid. Mostly because I'm not sure, but it was fun to me, and I guess that's all that matters. As an adult, though, I came to the realization that it's really a racing game set up in a very Sega Rally-esque arcade style. I guess relegating it to a racing game isn't quite right either, but it feels very inspired by Sega's quirky arcade history, and Yuji Naka's desire to break conformity of traditional game development. The marriage is a game something like a platformer with no platforms, and a goal of attaining the highest score possible by collecting everything possible, as quickly as possible, and as many times as possible before time runs out on a 'heat.' I find that approaching it as an arcade game where one plays to set a new high score, inspires its playability more than the standard progression through the levels. I think of the different stages more like unlockable tracks, as well.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Here is my collection so far. It is not very extravagant, but I'd like to think it is pretty solid and well rounded for the most part. With the exception of Dragon Force and Shining The Holy Ark, they are all JP games.

Metal Black
Hyper Duel
Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
Radiant Silvergun
Batsugun
Shippuu Mahou Daisakusen
Fighters Megamix
Cyberbots
Waku Waku 7
Goiken Muyou
Virtual On
Samurai Spirits Zankuro Musouken (box)
Samurai Spirits Amakusa Kourin
Terra Phantastica
Cyber Doll
Albert Odyssey Gaiden
Falcom Classics I
Shining Wisdom
Shining Force III (all scenarios)
Shining The Holy Ark (both JP and US)
Dragon Force (US only)
Dragon Force II
Dark Savior
Air's Adventure
Langrisser V
Mobile Suit Gundam Gaiden I-III
Mobile Suit Gundam
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Neon Genesis Evangelion 2nd Impression
Neon Genesis Evangelion Digital Card Library
Neon Genesis Evangelion Kotetsu no Girlfriend
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Super Robot Taisen F
Super Robot Taisen F Final
Assault Suit Leynos 2
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Shin Shinobi Den
Earthworm Jim 2
Tenchi wo Kurau II
Guardian Heroes
Lupin III MasterFile
Policenauts (box)
Snatcher

The arcade ports and the RPGs get the most attention. Which is basically the majority of the games so that isn't being too precise. :lol: The Saturn is my most played system behind my PS2 and PS3. I barely touch anything but these three systems anymore it seems.

There is a small handful of games I'd still like to acquire. Namely a few more big ticket shooters, some of the Capcom fighters, the PD games, and a couple loose end anime games.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:33 pm

I have no idea what people see in that game. *shrug*
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:

I have no idea what people see in that game. *shrug*

I sold my copy, too. The game is unbelievably annoying when you lose your "powers". And when you do have your powers, you're basically just flying in a giant circle. I will give the game props for looking pretty, though.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
bryan_65
Next-Gen

by bryan_65 Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 am

Man really all the hate on Nights? :(

I remember when I got Nights and the 3D controller in 1996 and it is still a big favorite and every X-mas I just have to play Christmas Nights. Granted I kinda grew up with it. :)
MulishaSoldier929
32-bit

by MulishaSoldier929 Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 am

bryan_65 wrote:Man really all the hate on Nights? :(

I remember when I got Nights and the 3D controller in 1996 and it is still a big favorite and every X-mas I just have to play Christmas Nights. Granted I kinda grew up with it. :)

People hating on NiGHTS????

BLASPHEMY !!

I will defend NID(not so much JID :roll: ) but it does seem to be one of those games that either people love or just think is "meh".

I was in the "its ok" camp for years then I switched sides once I started using the 3d controller and started to ~really~ play the game. Once I got the hang of flying to point of it being fast and fluid, it was like I was playing an entirely different game.
Beer it go good with pizza
Return to Sega