SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
User avatar
CD AGES
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by CD AGES Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Bradcap1 wrote: Thank you for the change in tone. Again, I don't really have much to say regarding this port vs the arcade or vs its PS1 counterpart. But I trust that you are correct.
I also agree with you regarding load times. They do increase when using a cart, I presume to load the extra animations from the disc. All I wanted to let you know is that the slowdown is reduced on that particular match when using the 1Mb cart. I'm not sure if any other aspects of the game or any other matches are improved. My main complaint regarding this game is really the lack of difficulty. I am by no means a great or even good Streetfighter player yet I make it to Thanos and even beat him with regularity.
As far as glitching, I was talking about the slowdown. I can see how that would be confused with graphical glitching common with incompatible carts. Sorry about that.
And, I agree that XM vs SF and MSH vs SF are far superior games. We put in MSH because my 5 year old likes to play as Iron Man, a character not available in the other games.


Well... Have you ever been exposed to the PSX version or even played the arcade game by any chance? I'm just curious if the SAT port is the only version of the game you've ever played?

Yes, that they do. And i've always found this to be very frustrating considering the game loads a tad longer than the PSX port by default (without a Cart) already. That's another thing, the extra frames that are added when playing with a RAM Cart really makes the game very inconsistent. The gamespeed (pr pacing in general) stutters for a multitude of reasons as certain frames of animation or actions from the game are exercised. I understand you trying to bring up that particular scenario those 2 characters as they are the largest sprites in the game, but MSH on consoles are victims of slowdown for a number of other reasons (Gem Usage, Specific background stages, even certain special moves etc).
I don't know if Xmen Vs. SF or MSH Vs. SF are superior games but they are def superior ports on the Saturn. MSH as a fighting game is surprisingly well balanced. Just about every character in the roster is viable in high level play.
Bradcap1
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 am

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by Bradcap1 Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:14 pm

CD AGES wrote:Well... Have you ever been exposed to the PSX version or even played the arcade game by any chance? I'm just curious if the SAT port is the only version of the game you've ever played?

Yes, that they do. And i've always found this to be very frustrating considering the game loads a tad longer than the PSX port by default (without a Cart) already. That's another thing, the extra frames that are added when playing with a RAM Cart really makes the game very inconsistent. The gamespeed (pr pacing in general) stutters for a multitude of reasons as certain frames of animation or actions from the game are exercised. I understand you trying to bring up that particular scenario those 2 characters as they are the largest sprites in the game, but MSH on consoles are victims of slowdown for a number of other reasons (Gem Usage, Specific background stages, even certain special moves etc).
I don't know if Xmen Vs. SF or MSH Vs. SF are superior games but they are def superior ports on the Saturn. MSH as a fighting game is surprisingly well balanced. Just about every character in the roster is viable in high level play.

Yes, I've only played the Saturn version. That's why I've been very careful not to make statements regarding the quality of the saturn port versus PS1 or arcade. The only games I have on both platforms are Wipeout and The Atari Collection. I've had a Saturn since launch and a PS1 since '99 but only became interested in 2D fighters in 2008 when my son was born and I pulled the old consoles out of storage to bide time during his 3 naps a day. I am older and grew up in the arcade scene but just never really got into the Streetfighter games back then.
BTW, I should have said that the VS games were superior ports and not superior games as you point out. Poor choice of words on my end.
User avatar
Mad_Hatter
128-bit
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 am

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by Mad_Hatter Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Need some good co op games and 2 player beat em ups. Does the Saturn have any good ones?
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
User avatar
pierrot
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3922
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am
Location: Banned

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by pierrot Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:17 pm

sp957 wrote:Need some good co op games and 2 player beat em ups. Does the Saturn have any good ones?


Not a ton of beat-em-ups on the system, and most of them are fairly expensive, but you might want to look into Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade (Dynamite Deka) Tenchi wo Kurau II, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, and Nekketsu Oyako.

For other co-op: Herc's Adventure. (Lucas Arts game, similar to Zombies Ate My Neighbors.)
Image
J_Wil
32-bit
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:11 am
Location: Earth

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by J_Wil Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:33 pm

I actually doubled my Saturn collection (to a meager 41 games) along with my 3rd console in one thrift store find about a month ago and have found quite a few cheap Saturn games in the last few months (though it's mostly rubbish games)
Standouts include:
-Shinobi Legions (the reason I originally bought my 1st Saturn in 2003 & my fave Saturn game so far)
-Road Rash
-Street Fighter: The Movie
-Mr. Bones
-Darius Gaiden

I really don't have much in the way of quality Saturn games. It spent the better part of the last 10 years in storage or tucked away in it's box on the shelf until I found a 2nd console at a thrift store last year. It sparked my interest in the system again and started play the few decent games I had. I tend to keep my eye out for good games at a fair price but those deals are few and far between. Certainly not an easy console to actively collect for (especially on the cheap) without going the eBay route or turning to imports.
"Oh great, another box of useless sh*t."

Main Collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/ynjmwil/games?viewCollection=in-collection - Not looking to move anything on this list but would entertain offers.
User avatar
BurningDoom
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5953
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by BurningDoom Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:01 am

J_Wil wrote:-Shinobi Legions (the reason I originally bought my 1st Saturn in 2003 & my fave Saturn game so far)


Good taste. 8)
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
User avatar
Mad_Hatter
128-bit
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 am

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by Mad_Hatter Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 am

pierrot wrote:
sp957 wrote:Need some good co op games and 2 player beat em ups. Does the Saturn have any good ones?


Not a ton of beat-em-ups on the system, and most of them are fairly expensive, but you might want to look into Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade (Dynamite Deka) Tenchi wo Kurau II, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, and Nekketsu Oyako.

For other co-op: Herc's Adventure. (Lucas Arts game, similar to Zombies Ate My Neighbors.)

Thanks for the info. I don't care about price.

Totally forgot about the Dungeons and Dragons Collection. I'll get some of those.

All of those games were in Japanese though, right?

I remember I played a game that might have been Ds and Ds. I was a young kid back then, so I don't remember. I playing it with my brother. It was sort of a mix of beat em' up and RP if I remember correctly. And I remember my cousin having to use a region cartridge.

But, it was awesome, and I need to find it!
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
SonicEchoes
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by SonicEchoes Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:10 pm

I recently bought Dragon Force for the Saturn a few weeks ago. I love it! I play it in short bursts. At first I had no idea what was going on and I got murdered several times on my first battle. Once I got the hang of it, it was addicting, I built a massive empire.. until..

Somehow when I was trying to save my game to my ram cart, it froze and it disappeared. I tried to save a "new" file and it froze. I waited several minutes.. and I had to shut it down. I lost all my data.


I suppose I wasn't too far into it, I started with the elf girl. I suppose I can try another kingdom.

Speaking of Saturn collection... I own

Burning Rangers
Guardian Heroes
Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei and Saga
Sonic Jam
Sonic R
Sonic 3D Blast
Virtual Fighter 1, 2
NiGHTs
Daytona
Sega Rally Championship


All I want now is Shining Force 3.. but man, is the Saturn collecting is too expensive. That's probably the last game I will get for the Saturn for a WHILE.
Xboxsegafan187
16-bit
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by Xboxsegafan187 Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:07 pm

Nice Saturn collection sonicechoes. Don't fret I got most of my Saturn games about 7 to 10 years ago when prices were not that crazy yet so your collection is more than sufficient.
As for your memory Save erase for Dragon Force that sucks to here fortunately Dragon Force is a game that begs to be played more than once.

If you want a real challenge start with Leon that in it self you need to level up your generals pretty quickly as you are attacked on all sides. then again Teiris is pretty tough as long as you don't try to invade the south I freaking hate the archers aside from trumping Harpys they are pretty much useless as well as the mages equally as garbage.
MulishaSoldier929
32-bit
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by MulishaSoldier929 Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am

pierrot wrote:
sp957 wrote:Need some good co op games and 2 player beat em ups. Does the Saturn have any good ones?


Not a ton of beat-em-ups on the system, and most of them are fairly expensive, but you might want to look into Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade (Dynamite Deka) Tenchi wo Kurau II, Dungeons & Dragons Collection, and Nekketsu Oyako.

For other co-op: Herc's Adventure. (Lucas Arts game, similar to Zombies Ate My Neighbors.)


Going to add Three Dirty Dwarves to that list. It is an amazing game and is 1-3 players! Its also very amusing. Pick it up if you can.
Beer it go good with pizza
Return to Sega

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests