SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by o.pwuaioc Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Omerta wrote:Took Magic Knight Rayearth out for a spin today. Got muscled out of the way by my ten year-old daughter.

Thinking back now, I shouldn't be shocked with all of the My Little Pony and anime stuff she gravitates toward - but it did catch me by surprise considering how much the young'ns typically shun anything older than a Gamecube. It nearly brought a tear to my eye.

The graphics are timeless. Given its Sailor Moon resonances, so is its appeal.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Omerta wrote:Took Magic Knight Rayearth out for a spin today. Got muscled out of the way by my ten year-old daughter.

Thinking back now, I shouldn't be shocked with all of the My Little Pony and anime stuff she gravitates toward - but it did catch me by surprise considering how much the young'ns typically shun anything older than a Gamecube. It nearly brought a tear to my eye.

The game is phenomenal and I am sure she is going to love it. Game brought a tear to my eye when I beat it as a youngster. One of my favorite games of that style.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Omerta
128-bit

by Omerta Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:09 am

Indeed. It holds up incredibly well in many aspects. The thick heaping of non-completely-terrible voice acting helps put it toward the front of the 32/64 bit pack as well.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:05 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:
marurun wrote:Souki was an arcade title originally and also saw a PlayStation release, but I don't know how it compares to the Saturn version.

The Saturn version performs better, but the Playstation version has an extra ship.

It is a fantastic game, but its by Raizing so thats no surprise.

BogusMeatFactory wrote: the Saturn is my favorite system and yet no SHMUPS are in my collection.

This is madness.

It's sad because I'm in the same boat. No shmups at all.
It's also because of two factors
1. I pretty much have all the shmups on my coin ops
2. I freaking can't afford them on the Saturn lol
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:20 am

mas wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
marurun wrote:Souki was an arcade title originally and also saw a PlayStation release, but I don't know how it compares to the Saturn version.

The Saturn version performs better, but the Playstation version has an extra ship.

It is a fantastic game, but its by Raizing so thats no surprise.

BogusMeatFactory wrote: the Saturn is my favorite system and yet no SHMUPS are in my collection.

This is madness.

It's sad because I'm in the same boat. No shmups at all.
It's also because of two factors
1. I pretty much have all the shmups on my coin ops
2. I freaking can't afford them on the Saturn lol

Pseudo Saturn, yo.
marurun

by marurun Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 am

I have some shooters in my collection, but I could certainly have more, and have in the past had more. Definitely holding onto my US copies of Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack, though.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:12 pm

I enjoy Magic Knight Rayearth. It's not perfect but it does plenty well. Helps that I adore the manga and anime, I suppose.

The graphics are absolutely beautiful. To me, late era SNES, PCE, and early 2D Saturn are the pinnacle of video game visuals.
marurun

by marurun Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:15 pm

I do also love that style of 2D where most of the game is 2D but there's a smattering of 3D to add environmental effects. The Saturn was very notable for that. The Dreamcast did some great stuff with that as well.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I enjoy Magic Knight Rayearth. It's not perfect but it does plenty well. Helps that I adore the manga and anime, I suppose.

The graphics are absolutely beautiful. To me, late era SNES, PCE, and early 2D Saturn are the pinnacle of video game visuals.

Yeah the game may have its flaws like how some characters are clearly more powerful than others, but it is the little things, like their personal journals that update as you play and how everything in the environment is examineable by each characters with their personalities in tow. That is what makes it so charming.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:42 pm

I'm gonna have to replay that shiz.

Did y'all know there were seven different Rayearth games released within about a one-year time span? The Saturn one is the best, though I enjoy the Super Famicom one as well.
Return to Sega