SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mas
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by mas Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:52 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Save $35 and just get a JP system from yamatoku on ebay (they sell for $10-ish and $30 or so shipping, but a few things and shipping comes way down).

But I need that 4in 1 since I'm looking to get the Xmen and marvel vs street fighter games
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:07 pm

mas wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:Save $35 and just get a JP system from yamatoku on ebay (they sell for $10-ish and $30 or so shipping, but a few things and shipping comes way down).

But I need that 4in 1 since I'm looking to get the Xmen and marvel vs street fighter games

Those games can be purchased the the 4MB cart (or you can buy just the cart for like $10).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:38 pm

thanks to Ack, my Saturn gaming is going even better than it was.

mas
Next-Gen

by mas Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 pm

Damn you noise!!!!!! I want it all lol
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:48 am

So this was cool to look back at, but I couldn't help but wonder - are any of these well received and in the $30-$50 range?

I'm thinking about selling off some of my Saturn titles (and peripherals - these 3D pads seem to be going much higher than years back) and using those funds in turn to find some nice Saturn shmups. Japanese titles with english mixed in work, I have a 4 in 1 from the old RB shop from years ago.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sat ... d-shooters
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:41 am

Sweet selection you got there Noise. Interestingly enough, I'm currently playing Alpha 2 on PS2 via Alpha Anthology. I just need that CPS2 soundtrack in the game for nostalgic reasons I guess.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:25 am

retrosportsgamer wrote:So this was cool to look back at, but I couldn't help but wonder - are any of these well received and in the $30-$50 range?

I'm thinking about selling off some of my Saturn titles (and peripherals - these 3D pads seem to be going much higher than years back) and using those funds in turn to find some nice Saturn shmups. Japanese titles with english mixed in work, I have a 4 in 1 from the old RB shop from years ago.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sat ... d-shooters

I haven't been paying close attention to the import market lately. I'd be willing to bet that $50 is low-end though. Just a hunch.

As far as the US library goes, Galactic Attack is averaging $50 right now. Darius Gaiden is doing $47. In The Hunt is around $69.

CD AGES wrote:Sweet selection you got there Noise. Interestingly enough, I'm currently playing Alpha 2 on PS2 via Alpha Anthology. I just need that CPS2 soundtrack in the game for nostalgic reasons I guess.

I popped it in last night to test it out. I just did a single credit as Chun-Li, and didn't make it super far. (The Alpha series is not my most versed of the Fighting Streets...) Honestly, SFA2 is one of those Saturn games that is just staggering proof of how amazingly the hardware could handle 2D visuals. It's unreal to see this running on a pre-Dreamcast console. Just gorgeous animations.

I also fired up Blazing Heroes to see what it was like. I played until the first save point, which was a whopping 40 mins. I'll say that it is ugly as heck, but it seems it's a rather linear turn based strategy game. Not a terrible placeholder until I can afford to get some more of my beloved Shining Force in my life.
touchofkiel
32-bit

by touchofkiel Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:33 am

Damn, now you're making me want to hunt down Alpha 1 and 2 to go along with my Marvel fighters. A quick search shows the JPN versions are pretty cheap... even with having to save money for my transfer coming at the end of the school year (March in Japan), I think I could swing it... now just gotta get the girlfriend to take me to those second-hand shops again...

I am really looking forward to some 2D action on Saturn - that's primarily why I ordered one. But Capcom did finally get it right with the PS1 port of Alpha 3, at least. By "right" I mean it's not an embarrassment like some of their other PS1 fighter ports. Man, nothing was more disappointing than renting one of the Vs games and then realizing you can't even swap characters...
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:24 am

noiseredux wrote:thanks to Ack, my Saturn gaming is going even better than it was.

All that, and yet he didn't want any of the imports I offered him.

Also, Saturn prices have gone up since when I collected for it. Astal has gotten pretty ridiculous.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:02 am

touchofkiel wrote:now just gotta get the girlfriend to take me to those second-hand shops again...

seriously though... keep an eye out for Sengoku Blade for me? Ebay is averaging like $100 on this one. It 'feels' like it should be a $60 game though.

I am really looking forward to some 2D action on Saturn - that's primarily why I ordered one. But Capcom did finally get it right with the PS1 port of Alpha 3, at least. By "right" I mean it's not an embarrassment like some of their other PS1 fighter ports. Man, nothing was more disappointing than renting one of the Vs games and then realizing you can't even swap characters...

My understanding is that the Saturn version is THEE preferred home port of Alpha 3. I haven't played it, so I can't say why. But there's folks who like it more than the DC port even.

Ack wrote:All that, and yet he didn't want any of the imports I offered him.

ah, I just ran out of money. :wink:
Return to Sega