SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38143
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by noiseredux Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:10 am

I wasn't really sure about MKII being a bad port. Honestly, it's been yearssss since I've played it on SNES to compare. It looks really nice on Saturn... The AI seems brutal though. Like unfair. And obviously there are some loading times, but those don't really bother me.
Image
User avatar
CD AGES
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by CD AGES Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 pm

noiseredux wrote:I wasn't really sure about MKII being a bad port. Honestly, it's been yearssss since I've played it on SNES to compare. It looks really nice on Saturn... The AI seems brutal though. Like unfair. And obviously there are some loading times, but those don't really bother me.


Saturn version has alot of the game's audio dialog missing. The game is so damn quiet as a result. The game soundtrack is butchered up pretty bad which is a damn shame how awesome the soundtrack in MKII is. My biggest issue is how the game loads for a fraction of a second as soon as someone performs the first special move during a match. It's fucking annoying to have something like that happen in a fighting game. Unacceptable :-(
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38143
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by noiseredux Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:17 pm

I did notice that pause thing only I didn't realize it was the first special move every round. Thought it was just kind of random. Yeah, that's pretty bad.

I just remembered I have the arcade version on Steam. That would make a good point of reference for comparison...
Image
User avatar
CD AGES
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by CD AGES Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:26 pm

noiseredux wrote:I just remembered I have the arcade version on Steam. That would make a good point of reference for comparison...

Yeah. Just compare the game music and audio between both ports. It's like night and day.
User avatar
nightrnr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by nightrnr Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:24 am

I wonder how MKII plays via Rhea? It may eliminate the pause. I will try it out sometime, but don't have it loaded at the moment.

Also, how have I not posted in this topic? I'm a pretty big Sega fan in general and the Saturn has introduced me to some pretty amazing games:
Parodious (technically 1st played it on an NES emulator, but nothing prepares you for the glee of an accurate port of the game).
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (where I learned the joys of the Sega Controller)
Samurai Spirits IV (Still my favorite Samurai Shodown game, or tied with the 1st)
Radiant "freakin" Silvergun (the only Shoot-em-up worth a ridiculous price that it goes for IMHO)
Mega Man X4 (yeah, my 1st MMX game was on Saturn, had to get MMX on SNES soon after that)
Battle Arena Toshinden (even if it's not so great a game, I tend to like awful fighting games; I think this began that quirk in me)
Fighters Megamix (or "Fighting Vipers vs Virtua Fighter", too awesome!)

The list goes on, I watched a friend play a bunch of others. I think one of my Saturns was originally his actually.
Most of the games I mentioned are available on other systems in one form or another. I'm slowly trying more exclusive games in its library.

Most Recent, Shining Force III has been fun (a couple months ago), but I'm stuck on a late game battle (thinking I just lost patience with that one; will give it another go soon).
...just another lost soul...
User avatar
foxhound1022
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: The mean streets of SouthTown

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by foxhound1022 Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:41 am

IMO, Battle Garegga is worth the price.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:06 am

nightrnr wrote:Parodious (technically 1st played it on an NES emulator, but nothing prepares you for the glee of an accurate port of the game).

I've got the Famicom cartridge of that. It's a ton of fun and feels fantastic to play on the original hardware.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10214
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by marurun Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:00 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
nightrnr wrote:Parodious (technically 1st played it on an NES emulator, but nothing prepares you for the glee of an accurate port of the game).

I've got the Famicom cartridge of that. It's a ton of fun and feels fantastic to play on the original hardware.


By the original hardware, you mean the MSX, or do you mean the arcade? The Famicom isn't the original hardware for any of them.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:02 pm

marurun wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:
nightrnr wrote:Parodious (technically 1st played it on an NES emulator, but nothing prepares you for the glee of an accurate port of the game).

I've got the Famicom cartridge of that. It's a ton of fun and feels fantastic to play on the original hardware.


By the original hardware, you mean the MSX, or do you mean the arcade? The Famicom isn't the original hardware for any of them.

Whoops, I didn't know there was one before From Myth to Laughter. My bad. :oops: And I guess it was FIRST on arcade, but that one was released on Famicom within a few months, so it's close enough in my book.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10214
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

by marurun Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:36 pm

PC Engine version is a blast as well.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Sega

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests