How is your Saturn gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Tempest
16-bit

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

Post by Tempest »

Picked up D the other day (along with Guardian Heroes) and I managed to get a fair way into disc two on my second play through before my time ran out.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Tempest wrote:Picked up D the other day (along with Guardian Heroes) and I managed to get a fair way into disc two on my second play through before my time ran out.

I've got D on 3DO. It hasn't aged well, but I really enjoyed it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

i really need to try D again, did so as one of my halloween games last october and just got stuck early on in the castle...feel like i need a guide or something, and knowing i have a limited amount of time doesn't help, haha

really do wanna give Eno's games a fair one though, been sitting on that & Enemy Zero forever now
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

Magic Knight Rayearth down! it's a bummer it's so expensive, cause it's legit a fun action RPG & definitely more enjoyable than Shining Wisdom, or to cross over to straight RPG's also by Working Designs, Albert Odyssey. i've never even seen the anime, and this was fun.

i frequently switched characters to examine stuff & see their reaction, which really played into their troupes & such...though goddamn, when you realize that literally every single new area not only has 3 diary entries (one by each of them), but that almost all are voiced over as well...you start to see why this thing showed up so very late. Vic must've been a madman to push for that! i only listened to a handful myself, but will definitely give them more attention if i replay it down the road.

another odd new year's resolution was to beat 10 Sega games this year...and this was # 8, so i'm definitely ahead of schedule! granted, i stacked them with mostly shorter stuff here & there, but while i still wanna power through D (maybe Enemy Zero?) for some halloween Kenji Eno love in October, i clearly saved the best for last & decided i'd try both scenario 1 of Shining Force III (now that i've properly beaten 1/CD/2 & Ark) and Dragon Force! neither are on the short side - especially DF, with all those different countries - but we're not even halfway through the year, so i think those are my best bets, and will totally finish off the major titles in my Saturn backlog as well - opening up time for other important things like Guardian Heroes alternate paths, haha. which do ya'll think i should do first? to be honest, I'm heavily leaning toward DF.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

IrishNinja wrote:i frequently switched characters to examine stuff & see their reaction, which really played into their troupes & such...though goddamn, when you realize that literally every single new area not only has 3 diary entries (one by each of them), but that almost all are voiced over as well...you start to see why this thing showed up so very late. Vic must've been a madman to push for that! i only listened to a handful myself, but will definitely give them more attention if i replay it down the road.

Yeah, the amount of stuff that can be examined, and the differences in the characters' reactions can be kind of daunting. Nice details, but I couldn't bring myself to care enough about everything each character had to say about every little object.
It's a little bit funny that the Japanese version has more voice acting in the normal course of the game, but no VO for the journal entries. That seems like a curious decision by WD to drop a bunch of game play audio for narrated journals.

IrishNinja wrote:Which do ya'll think i should do first? to be honest, I'm heavily leaning toward DF.

I'd go with Dragon Force, if you're not planning on playing through each character's campaign. I'm not a huge fan of Shining Force to begin with, but when I tried to get into the three scenarios for III a couple years back, I realized that they do not move anywhere near as briskly as the first two games. I think I played scenario 1 for about 3 hours, and didn't make it out of the first town. Maybe saw one or two battles. I didn't trust my ability to keep at it.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

With SFIII, I was enjoying myself quite well. Then I got the a battle that kind of scares me. Not going to get onto details, but you have to fight while avoiding a lethal threat (besides the enemy forces), in a limited space.
I just felt overwhelmed.
I'm going to give it another go soonish though.
...just another lost soul...
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

ah, see i was kinda afraid III's shift to 3D would affect the pacing (happened a lot for me with RPG's that gen), but i do so love the series & have to see it through...doesn't hurt that i went into Ark not knowing it was a spiritual successor to Shining in the Darkness, and loved the balls off that game.

still, DF is prolly gonna be up first!
DreamyWarrior00
8-bit

Post by DreamyWarrior00 »

*Not shown in picture Alien Trilogy, and Die Hard Arcade

Unfortunately my eldest brother traded in our Sega Saturn towards buying a gamecube for his then girlfriend and now wife and I believe most of the games went with it (This was the only time I recall that we traded in a console). So what you see here is a modest collection I put together myself.

At first I was on a mission to find Albert's Odyssey but at the time I didn't know the name and remembered very little like a boy that was raised by angels and parents were killed by ghouls and one snippet of a narrated intro that was embedded into my memory "The Eldian brothers..."(that narrator was awesome by the way). I was pretty young and never really dabbed much into the game but those vivid recalls from my subconscious had me on the hunt and google was not helping me at the time so I just googled Sega Saturn RPGs and sifted through each one cross examined them with youtube until I had a match. I was ecstatic I found the title I was searching for I then after went to ebay and the rest is history. :)
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.Image
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

short but sweet, you've got some absolute greats in there! for some reason, i didn't know Shining: The Holy Ark was like a spiritual sequel to In The Darkness, and loved the balls off it when i played it earlier this year for the first time...so good!
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

I may have to unpack my Sega Saturn, as I recently aquired Dodonpachi which I found at a gamestore in my area. I feel like I overpaid for it ($75), but i've been interested in playing this game for a while now.