How is your Saturn gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
touchofkiel
32-bit

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

Post by touchofkiel »

I'm actually expecting my first Saturn+ games next (JPN version), with an Action Replay+.
Games are complete editions of some Capcom Marvel fighters: X-men, Marvel Super Heroes, and XM vs SF... MHSvsSF was a little too expensive, I'll hold out until I can check out the second-hand shops around here.

Even though I consider myself a big Sega fan, Genesis and DC being two of my favorite systems... I have never actually played a single Saturn game, except for a few emulator tests, and maybe a port here and there (Sonic R anyone? ugh).

I'm really excited to get into it... because it also marks the beginning of my new retro game collection (I've always been an emulator/port/compilation kinda guy). Other than the Marvel stuff, I have no clue where to start... I love RPGs, but I don't read a ton of kanji. I'm definitely looking to dive in to the shmup genre... but those games are rare and expensive.

I understand the Action Replay+ is basically a region unlock, but I'll have to wait til my next US visit to pick up those games. Anyone know of any good, relatively common JPN games with minimal text - or even better, English options? On the other hand, maybe forcing myself to play a JPN RPG is a good way to improve my Japanese... I know the Wizardry games retain the English voice acting....

Anyways, really excited to get it in the mail next week, I'll let you guys know how it goes!
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Congrats touchofkiel for getting into and exploring Sega Saturn. It's a wonderful system.
Those games you are soon to be getting are decent games to start with if you enjoy old school fighters. XvsSF in particular is the highlight of the 3 listed. It is one of my most favorite games on the system. If you enjoy those, you may want to explore other similar offerings from Capcom that are fairly affordable like Vampire Hunter, Vampire Savior and SF Alpha 2.

Can't provide much advice in regards to RPGs on Saturn. They are pretty damn expensive out here in the states so I usually can't afford any :-(

With that said, the system has other great offerings that I enjoy very much.
I look forward to hearing your impression of the system and games.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

How much should I save for to get the action replay 4 in 1 cart. Won't be able to get for another month or so. Figured I'd save now. It won't be like 60.00 but what's the average without going over
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

CD AGES wrote:Congrats touchofkiel for getting into and exploring Sega Saturn. It's a wonderful system.
Those games you are soon to be getting are decent games to start with if you enjoy old school fighters. XvsSF in particular is the highlight of the 3 listed. It is one of my most favorite games on the system. If you enjoy those, you may want to explore other similar offerings from Capcom that are fairly affordable like Vampire Hunter, Vampire Savior and SF Alpha 2.

Yeah, I definitely love the Capcom Marvel fighters. Since one of my main projects right now for my blog is going through (almost) all non-PC Marvel games ever... I figured that's also a good place to start my new little retro collection.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:noise, I bought the sequel from you like two years ago...

yeah cuz I had all those Japanese games I couldn't read :wink:

Hey Touch, Bone here is your guy if you need info on Japanese RPG's.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

mas wrote:How much should I save for to get the action replay 4 in 1 cart. Won't be able to get for another month or so. Figured I'd save now. It won't be like 60.00 but what's the average without going over

Off the top of my head:
Cart only- $25
Complete- $35
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Thanks joe. I'll save 25.00 during February
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Save $35 and just get a JP system from yamatoku on ebay (they sell for $10-ish and $30 or so shipping, but a few things and shipping comes way down).
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

mjmjr25 wrote:Save $35 and just get a JP system from yamatoku on ebay (they sell for $10-ish and $30 or so shipping, but a few things and shipping comes way down).

But I need that 4in 1 since I'm looking to get the Xmen and marvel vs street fighter games
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

mas wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:Save $35 and just get a JP system from yamatoku on ebay (they sell for $10-ish and $30 or so shipping, but a few things and shipping comes way down).

But I need that 4in 1 since I'm looking to get the Xmen and marvel vs street fighter games

Those games can be purchased the the 4MB cart (or you can buy just the cart for like $10).