How is your Saturn gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Omerta
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

Post by Omerta »

Indeed. It holds up incredibly well in many aspects. The thick heaping of non-completely-terrible voice acting helps put it toward the front of the 32/64 bit pack as well.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
marurun wrote:Souki was an arcade title originally and also saw a PlayStation release, but I don't know how it compares to the Saturn version.

The Saturn version performs better, but the Playstation version has an extra ship.

It is a fantastic game, but its by Raizing so thats no surprise.

BogusMeatFactory wrote: the Saturn is my favorite system and yet no SHMUPS are in my collection.

This is madness.

It's sad because I'm in the same boat. No shmups at all.
It's also because of two factors
1. I pretty much have all the shmups on my coin ops
2. I freaking can't afford them on the Saturn lol
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

mas wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
marurun wrote:Souki was an arcade title originally and also saw a PlayStation release, but I don't know how it compares to the Saturn version.

The Saturn version performs better, but the Playstation version has an extra ship.

It is a fantastic game, but its by Raizing so thats no surprise.

BogusMeatFactory wrote: the Saturn is my favorite system and yet no SHMUPS are in my collection.

This is madness.

It's sad because I'm in the same boat. No shmups at all.
It's also because of two factors
1. I pretty much have all the shmups on my coin ops
2. I freaking can't afford them on the Saturn lol

Pseudo Saturn, yo.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have some shooters in my collection, but I could certainly have more, and have in the past had more. Definitely holding onto my US copies of Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack, though.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I enjoy Magic Knight Rayearth. It's not perfect but it does plenty well. Helps that I adore the manga and anime, I suppose.

The graphics are absolutely beautiful. To me, late era SNES, PCE, and early 2D Saturn are the pinnacle of video game visuals.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I do also love that style of 2D where most of the game is 2D but there's a smattering of 3D to add environmental effects. The Saturn was very notable for that. The Dreamcast did some great stuff with that as well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I enjoy Magic Knight Rayearth. It's not perfect but it does plenty well. Helps that I adore the manga and anime, I suppose.

The graphics are absolutely beautiful. To me, late era SNES, PCE, and early 2D Saturn are the pinnacle of video game visuals.

Yeah the game may have its flaws like how some characters are clearly more powerful than others, but it is the little things, like their personal journals that update as you play and how everything in the environment is examineable by each characters with their personalities in tow. That is what makes it so charming.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm gonna have to replay that shiz.

Did y'all know there were seven different Rayearth games released within about a one-year time span? The Saturn one is the best, though I enjoy the Super Famicom one as well.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

That game has blown up in value the last few years. I remember buying it cib for like 75 6 years ago, shit is outrageous now, like 3 bills lol.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

No joke. Things like mod chips, Rheas/Phoebes, and Hacktion Replays are the future of that console.

I vaguely remember hearing something about MKR having some lost source code that had to be rewritten when it was localized. Anybody know if there was any significant differences between the US and JP versions?
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."