How is your Saturn gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I like the Saturn but the whole games-are-more-expensive-than-the-console thing drives me nuts. At least I can get some cheap import stuff.

Next Saturn game I plan on playing is (prepare to be shocked) the port of Ys I.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Most of my Saturn gaming recently has been a mix of Baku Baku and Daytona USA. But I only have those two games with me so that kinda inspires what I play... Granted I am playing both with an arcade stick so Daytona is interesting.

man, I like Baku Baku but the audio drives me nuts in that game. So annoying.

Oh man I love the audio. The random screaming just sells the game as being insane.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

I play my Saturn at the very least, on a bi-weekly basis. I'm either playing X-Men Vs SF or MSH Vs SF Mostly to brush up on my infinite combos, experimenting with certain team synergy combinations, that sort of thing.

Actually my most recent Saturn purchase was a CIB copy of MSH vs. SF 4MB box variant. So now I have both versions of the game... Finally.
Original_Name
Next-Gen

Post by Original_Name »

I probably have one of the strangest progressions of Saturn consoles in the history of Saturndom. Stored away in an old dresser I have my original Model 2 Sega Saturn from Christmas of 1997, but many years later I picked up a Model 1 at a local used media chain, which someone or other on RacketBoy was interested in. He had a mod-chipped Model 2, which I paid up slightly in the deal for. That Model 2 was pretty beat up, and eventually the disc tray door started having issues, so I looked up a replacement shell on eBay that had come from a junked, but aesthetically beautiful Japanese Model 2. During the process of switching out Saturn shells, you have to remove the modchip -- I put it to the side intending to re-solder it later, but my "girlfriend" of the time (if you can even call her that -- it was more of a rebound followed by a grueling, year(+)-prolonged emotional blackmail scenario) misplaced it or something. I used this Saturn with the Japanese shell and American innards until just last week, after my Saturn had started having video output issues. I found a cheap and utterly disgusting Japanese Model 2 that I swapped my old, clean Japanese Model 2 shell onto.

So I basically took the most roundabout path to owning a stock Japanese Model 2 Saturn imaginable. It's sort of like that old conundrum that asks if you have a ship, but progressively change out every material plank-by-plank over the course of you owning it, is it still the same ship? I can honestly say it's been worth it almost entirely because I can actually reset-button-spam my way toward memorizing and mastering shmup levels without suffering the Action Replay screen every time. Not that it's so bad here and there, but when you're just trying to figure out how the hell you're supposed to get through the Level 2 boss of Fantasy Zone when the bullets just so happen to fall in a path that leaves no spaces larger than your sprite -- which is already infuriating -- and the 30 second Action Replay wait starts building up into a collective 15 minutes over an extended play, it gets to be excrutiating.

Dreamcast and Neo-Geo titles have been my main area of interest this summer, but the Saturn's become a staple again during this last month. Picked up the Sega Ages releases of Fantasy Zone, Space Harrier, and OutRun, which I've been enjoying immensely (contrary to what the previous comments about Fantasy Zone may have suggested -- it's that wonderful way that games tread the line between joy and rage) -- Thunder Force V and Detana Twinbee Yahho are two other titles I've picked up for the console lately and have really enjoyed. I've also been going back to the banner titles like NiGHTS into Dreams..., Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Guardian Heroes, Sega Rally Championship, Burning Rangers, and Marvel vs. Street Fighter (seems to be a theme for us in this thread). Plus I'm using imports like Princess Crown, Dragon Force II, and to a more limited extent Puyo Puyo Sun to challenge myself to pick up a little bit more Japanese in my spare time. Now that I have access to a Saturn that's in perfect working order (outside of my damn TV that has unreliable S-Video input and doesn't play nice with SCART conversion), it's becoming my go-to system again.
Original_Name
Next-Gen

Post by Original_Name »

Scratch that last part about the TV -- just got one of these in the mail, and the picture is INCREDIBLE.
codegamer
8-bit

Post by codegamer »

Been briefly touching on my Castlevania SOTN for the saturn. Been having some fun playing as Maria!
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

I got really hooked onto Saturn Bomberman. Beautiful looking bomberman game, and I wish I had way more controllers, the multiplayer looks insane!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Recently got Soukyugurentai Otokuyo and am having fun with that. I suck at it (and all shumps really) but the Layer section style lock on keeps the game interesting. This version has a demo of battle garegga which is nice.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

Original_Name wrote:Scratch that last part about the TV -- just got one of these in the mail, and the picture is INCREDIBLE.

I'm glad to hear this works well, since I need something like this to hook the Saturn up to my projector.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

My Saturn collecting has gone down to a trickle.

I did the bulk of my collection before 2003. All thrift store/flea market finds.

I don't do eBay.

This past year, I've gotten two/three decent games. Not complete, but good enough for me.

Only about 15% of my collection is CIB. I keep all my 100+ games in a binder.

Its too late, and too painful for my wallet to attempt collecting again.

The Saturn has gotten very expensive in the past few years.

But at least I have plenty of games to play
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4