How is your Saturn gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

Post by Segata »

Anayo wrote:I beat Soukyuugurentai recently. It hasn't dethroned my #1 favorite SHMUP of all time (that would be Lords of Thunder on the Turbo Grafx 16 CD), but it's a high quality 2D Saturn title and beating it felt like a big accomplishment.

That's a game I been looking at for a while.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Souki was an arcade title originally and also saw a PlayStation release, but I don't know how it compares to the Saturn version.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Been having a eye on that game but I had other interesting in games on the master system
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Anayo wrote:I beat Soukyuugurentai recently. It hasn't dethroned my #1 favorite SHMUP of all time (that would be Lords of Thunder on the Turbo Grafx 16 CD), but it's a high quality 2D Saturn title and beating it felt like a big accomplishment.

Congratulations!!! The beating of any SHMUP is a high accomplishment in my eyes as it is a gente I have a hard time playing. I find that funny because the Saturn is my favorite system and yet no SHMUPS are in my collection. I need to spend more time with the genre in general.

It's a cool genre but it's kinda saturated, especially on systems like the TG-16 and Saturn. It makes me wonder if there's a cult of Japanese zealots who eat SHMUP's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner or something. I'm trying to play all the high quality Saturn games, though, so I've got a ton more to go.

For a change of scenery I started Hot Blooded Family (熱血親子). It's like Streets of Rage except sillier. At the end of stage one a blue whale smashes through a bridge, eats you, and you spend the next level fighting octopi with boxing gloves inside the whale's stomach. It's almost antithetical to Soukyuugurentai, though, cause in that one I had to focus like crazy to get anywhere, whereas Hot Blooded Family feels like I can play it in my sleep.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Whenever I play Souky, I always get a hankering to play Layer Section instead.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think they're both awesome. And if you play Layer Section in Tate mode with the screen physically rotated, I think it actually adds scrolling and special effects.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

marurun wrote:Souki was an arcade title originally and also saw a PlayStation release, but I don't know how it compares to the Saturn version.

The Saturn version performs better, but the Playstation version has an extra ship.

It is a fantastic game, but its by Raizing so thats no surprise.

BogusMeatFactory wrote: the Saturn is my favorite system and yet no SHMUPS are in my collection.

This is madness.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

Took Magic Knight Rayearth out for a spin today. Got muscled out of the way by my ten year-old daughter.

Thinking back now, I shouldn't be shocked with all of the My Little Pony and anime stuff she gravitates toward - but it did catch me by surprise considering how much the young'ns typically shun anything older than a Gamecube. It nearly brought a tear to my eye.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Omerta wrote:Took Magic Knight Rayearth out for a spin today. Got muscled out of the way by my ten year-old daughter.

Thinking back now, I shouldn't be shocked with all of the My Little Pony and anime stuff she gravitates toward - but it did catch me by surprise considering how much the young'ns typically shun anything older than a Gamecube. It nearly brought a tear to my eye.

The graphics are timeless. Given its Sailor Moon resonances, so is its appeal.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Omerta wrote:Took Magic Knight Rayearth out for a spin today. Got muscled out of the way by my ten year-old daughter.

The game is phenomenal and I am sure she is going to love it. Game brought a tear to my eye when I beat it as a youngster. One of my favorite games of that style.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.