How is your Saturn gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Godot102
64-bit

Re: How is your Saturn gaming going?

Post by Godot102 »

I'm having a very rough time collecting for it. I only own three games so far and one of them doesn't work well on my saturn BUT will work perfectly if I throw it into my laptop and run SSF. Getting games for this system costs so much money. I know I can get the action replay card but even prices for the Japanese games are starting to sharply increase. I need to quickly pick up some more japanese games before its too late :P. I plan on picking up Saturn Bomberman and Jikkyou oshaberi Parodius as those are two of the games I want the most.
Spyke
64-bit

Post by Spyke »

Godot102 wrote:I'm having a very rough time collecting for it. I only own three games so far and one of them doesn't work well on my saturn BUT will work perfectly if I throw it into my laptop and run SSF. Getting games for this system costs so much money. I know I can get the action replay card but even prices for the Japanese games are starting to sharply increase. I need to quickly pick up some more japanese games before its too late :P. I plan on picking up Saturn Bomberman and Jikkyou oshaberi Parodius as those are two of the games I want the most.

You think you've got it bad?

Try collecting only Japanese shmups. Check out the prices for Batsugun, Radiant Silvergun and Battle Garrega! Soukyugurentai and Cotton 2 and Boomerang too!

At least the 2D fighters I'm getting into can still be had pretty cheap. Very good value for money actually.

Ant
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Spyke wrote:Try collecting only Japanese shmups. Check out the prices for Batsugun, Radiant Silvergun and Battle Garrega! Soukyugurentai and Cotton 2 and Boomerang too!

Fortunately I happen to already have all of those, aside from Cotton 2. I've been seeing this increase in price for Saturn imports coming for a while. As US and PAL Saturn collecting becomes more and more expensive, more people start looking at importing less expensive versions without really understanding the value of the games. It's been my observation, also, that buyers in the West are more willing to pay more for games in general, than Japanese buyers would. (The exceptions typically being certain RPGs, and notoriously shitty games.)

The one that really gets me is Astal, though. It's readily available for about $10 in Japan, but ebay prices on it put it pretty much at the same cost as the US version, which is just insane. I've become pretty happy with my collection as it is, and a modchip. Collecting more of the top shelf imports I have left to acquire just doesn't seem worth it at this point.
Xboxsegafan187
16-bit

Post by Xboxsegafan187 »

My bad CD you are correct MSH on the Saturn was not as comparable to the PS version but then again I am a sega fanboy so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 8)
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Luckily, I jumped into Saturn stuff right before the price hikes.

I got a lot of my US titles at good prices, leaving me to buy the more expensive imports like Battle Garegga, Crows, Final Fight Revenge and the like.

There are still a good few imports I'd like to aquire; Taromaru, Blast Wind, Hyper Duel, but those I'm waiting on.

Which really isn't the best thing considering the steady rise in values. :(
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Is Road Rash any good? I love the genesis version.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

SamuraiMegas wrote:Is Road Rash any good? I love the genesis version.

Definetly. But it's not the Genesis version. It's a port of the later 3DO game of the same name.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

Here's my little collection:

U.S.
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Albert Odyssey
Shining the Holy Ark
Tempest 2000
Daytona USA

Japanese:
Layer Section
Nekketsu Oyako
Burning Rangers
Soukyugurentai

And I've also Played a lot of the other shmups but winding up selling them off. Burning Rangers is completely playable in Japanese.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Bradcap1

Post by Bradcap1 »

CD AGES wrote:
Xboxsegafan187 wrote:Yeah I second that. The Saturn Capcom fighting games are and is the superior of the two when comparing them to their Playstation Counterparts.

For the majority, yes. But not all...

I read your review of MSH awhile back and meant to contact you sooner. I did some testing Saturn MSH without a ram cart, with an Action Replay 4 in 1, with an official 4Mb RAM cart, and with an official 1Mb RAM cart. With the AR and 4Mb cart the game does indeed glitch and slowdown as you report. But with the 1Mb cart the game runs smooth with the extra frames of animation. Thought you would want to know.
It seems that 3Mb ram mode in options refers to 2Mb of internal ram plus 1Mb from the cart. It's also been reported that the AR actually only functions in 4Mb mode which would explain this glitch.
Please bear in mind that I'm using a US copy of MSH on a US Saturn.
One additional detail, you have to let the Capcom intro screen run its course prior to hitting start or the cart will not be recognized. Go to the options screen to verify that the cart is detected and 3Mb mode is on.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BurningDoom wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:Is Road Rash any good? I love the genesis version.

Definetly. But it's not the Genesis version. It's a port of the later 3DO game of the same name.

With awesome FMV clips.