SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/

by retrosportsgamer Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Good idea - unfortunately only switches between DVI and D-Sub, with the same "no input from" message.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 am

Well, D-Sub should be the VGA input. That is quite odd. The manual does say it accepts 640x480, so I am unsure of what's going on with it. Does the monitor work with a computer hooked up thru VGA?

EDIT: If it does work with a computer thru VGA, try running a program in fullscreen 640x480 to test it (like an emulator or something). If that works, then the problem is either with your VGA box, the cable running from your VGA box to your monitor, or the DC itself. Do you have another monitor to test with?
Last edited by TSTR on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 am

TSTR wrote:Well, D-Sub should be the VGA input. That is quite odd. The manual does say it accepts 640x480, so I am unsure of what's going on with it. Does it work with a computer hooked up thru VGA?

Yes, with no issue.

Maybe the box is just toast right out of the gate?

I did see this and wondered if the lower ones were just cut "Some systems may not support all modes listed".

Thanks for your help - really appreciate the responses.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:14 am

Ah, well never mind the first part of my edit then. If you know your DC is working properly (like with regular A/V hookup to TV), then it's either the VGA box or the cable. If you can, test a different cable and/or monitor.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:27 am

Or you know, I could swing the tab on the VGA box from TV to PC. :oops: :oops:
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:29 am

retrosportsgamer wrote:Or you know, I could swing the tab on the VGA box from TV to PC. :oops: :oops:

yoooooooo :lol:

well played dood
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:26 pm

I don't really have a question, other than why has it taken me 14 years to finally get a VGA cable, I guess :lol:

I had RGB Scart that looked pretty nice, but boy does VGA look impressive!
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
ArrYouGonnaEatThat

by ArrYouGonnaEatThat Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Dear Dreamiuses at Racketboy forums,

I haven't played my Dreamcast in a while, because the fan shat the bed and I finally got around to putting a new fan in, just in time for the DC's 15th anniversary. (Can you believe it's been that long?!) This question is on topic - about the VGA box - but I feel I should mention the fan because it's the only thing that's changed about my Dreamcast since I last played it.

I replaced the fan in my dreamcast with a 30 mm 5V fan. The new one had a connector that was too big for the motherboard so I pulled the wires out of the new connector and plugged them into the smaller connector from the old fan. The fan works in the Dreamcast. I can hear it, I can feel the air, the dar-diddly-ding-dong-darn thing works.

The DC is plugged into my 24" Dell S2409W monitor via VGA box, switched into VGA mode.

I think it may have done this before (if so, years ago), but I can't remember how I fixed it. I know the fix never entailed connecting my computer to the monitor. I know it can handle a 640x480 signal, because I used to play the dreamcast through it all the time.

When I turn the Dreamcast on, the menu pops up to set the date. It's on for a few seconds, then the screen goes black and a message from my Dell monitor says that there's no VGA signal. The DC light is still on and the fan is still going. I know if you install a 2 pin fan in the DC, the system will shut down quickly after it detects that there's no 3rd pin. This fan has 3 pins, and the fan is spinning. That's why I don't think the problem is related to the fan, I think it's something to do with the VGA box or with the monitor. However, the monitor still works with my PS3 plugged into the HDMI port (in full 1080p I might add - a huge deal when I bought it back in 2007-08!), and I know the VGA signal is reaching the monitor for at least a few seconds as I can see the DC logo screen and the time set menu.

Save me, Dreamiuses! What is going on?!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Does it cooperate hooked up with the plain old composite cable? Do you have another 640 monitor you can try it on? It's possible that a component is failing in the VGA box and the signal goes out of spec once it warms up.
marurun

by marurun Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:19 pm

I have my DC's VGA box hooked up through to my HDTV through a VGA to HDMI converter (without an upscaler). I can do this because one of the HDMI inputs on my TV supports 640x480. I suspect there's a point early in the DC boot process where it sometimes doesn't send the proper video signal, because occasionally my HDTV decides it can't read the signal and then just tunes it out. If I reset once or twice everything is fine. I think with older monitors they are more forgiving if it takes them a minute to catch the right signal, but newer TVs and monitors seem to be very picky and impatient. It's like they have to get just the right video data at the right time, and if they don't get it, they throw up their arms and give up.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Sega