DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

elmagicochrisg wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:elmagicochrisg wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
The straight Dreamcast VGA cable is designed for immediate connections to the back of an LCD Monitor/TV or CRT monitor, but I'll never touch one of those. the circuit inside the DC was never designed for a direct feed, but to be used in conjunction with a box and amplification circuit.
Sorry to say, but there's no such thing as a straight Dreamcast VGA cable.

Check again:
http://www.racketboy.com/store/featured ... e-box.html

By straight I mean directly taking the signal straight out of the back of the system pre amplification and letting the display do the work.

AKA, you're pulling straight from the source sans any other factors.
Err, then please do explain what the little box in the middle is for?...

It's to tap the audio with either a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA, or 3.5mm to 3.5mm patch cable. The pictures and description on the page detailed it pretty well.
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:At least the well made ones that racket sells and the original Official Sega made ones do.
With all due respect, did you read what people wrote in this thread concerning that cable you linked to?...

I don't exactly get this. Most of the stuff in this thread concerning that cable is finding a gender changer to use it with female ended TV's and monitors.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:EDIT!: Remember guys VGA is an analog signal. So, while it theoretically has no boundary for screen size or resolution the quality of the cable and the ability of it's shielding to prevent crosstalk and interference is actually really important.

Cheap or junky cables means crap picture.

Thanks Mod_Man and Hobie.

Slightly off-topic response, but if VGA is analog (and requires insulated cables) and HDMI is digital, why are there expensive "heavily-insulated" HDMI cables?
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

pakopako wrote:Slightly off-topic response, but if VGA is analog (and requires insulated cables) and HDMI is digital, why are there expensive "heavily-insulated" HDMI cables?

marketing bs to make you spend more money
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

AppleQueso wrote:
pakopako wrote:Slightly off-topic response, but if VGA is analog (and requires insulated cables) and HDMI is digital, why are there expensive "heavily-insulated" HDMI cables?

marketing bs to make you spend more money

True and false.

If you have a setup consisting of a very large television worth several thousand dollars and the comparable sound system to go with it get the cable that breaks the bank and it'll work perfect.

^At that level we're talking luxury brands most have never heard of like NAD, B&W and KEF along other multi-thousand dollar sound systems and television setups. One of my local Hi-Fi shops that carries a sound system package that's worth $500,000 and trust me you can hear a difference.

Use a cheap HDMI or Analog cable with a setup like that and the throughput won't be high enough for everything. Not to mention that the whole it's there or it isn't in digital isn't quite true. There are errors and missing data, but these are usually negligible thanks to the error correction in a small home setup with only a basic 5.1 system and a small or middle class TV.

But when you blow everything up exponentially it becomes readily more apparent to the naked eye and ear.

In other words, HDMI cables matter in terms of quality as you go up the ladder. But if it's jut a TV and a standard 5.1 system cheap ones are fine.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

elmagicochrisg wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:It's to tap the audio with either a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA, or 3.5mm to 3.5mm patch cable. The pictures and description on the page detailed it pretty well.
Trust me, it does more than that. There's capacitors on both the R, G and B connections in that little box. Amongst other things...
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:I don't exactly get this. Most of the stuff in this thread concerning that cable is finding a gender changer to use it with female ended TV's and monitors.
Most is not all... ;)

I was thinking of one day buying the more expensive VGA box on this site (for limited edition consoles I don't want to alter), but then I read some people also have problems with that one. The expensive one I have no personal experience with though, the cheaper one (being the one you linked to) gives all sorts of troubles. This I know out of personal experience and from other forum members...

Ok, you seem to just be fishing for a way to get the jump on the convo here. I'm not trying to fight anyone here on anything, just make sure everyone gets everything alright without any misinformation.

I didn't know that that VGA cable had caps in it at the connector for the RGB though I'm doubtful as my older straight VGA cable's audio breakout box is the same as it is in reality a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures normally seen of it online. overall it's a lot thinner and slightly narrower than it would otherwise appear to be. Are you sure those weren't just caps on the audio line?
My Consoles:

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

A digital signal can still be affected by analog interference. Think about a digital TV signal breaking up or a corrupted video file going all blocky.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Lets keep this on the topic of Dreamcast VGA and avoid personal attacks.
Thanks