DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
dnbiola

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

Post by dnbiola »

dnbiola wrote:I purchased an LG HDTV (a 47LD520 to be exact) about a month ago. I have been looking forward to utilizing the VGA input on the back to play my Dreamcast. I got the Retro Bit VGA box and a 10' VGA cable yesterday. But alas, I'm getting the "No Signal" message when I try to use it. :( It looks like other people have had similar problems with LG TVs and I gather that there might be a work around by using a VGA/HDMI adapter or something. I should have done more research from the beginning I suppose. Any help would be appreciated!

I found this on an Amazon review:
"I have a LG 42'' TV and at first it didn't work, o the TV appeared the message invalid format, and that's because the resolution for the RGA or PC-in is greater than the output source, which in this case the Dreamcast's 640x480. So when i was about to write an e-mail to the seller expressing my displeasure with every curse word and threat known to man, i've had an idea, i used my macbook, and when you connect it via the PC-in you can choose in the preferences how much resolution you'd like, and that was it, i choose 640 and then it worked perfectly, i know it can be done with a windows computer as well."

I'll have to try this tomorrow and see if I can get my TV to accept 640x480 using this work around. I'm so disappointed that this hasn't worked. :(
"Our hearts are restless until they find their rest in you." - Augustine
dnbiola

Post by dnbiola »

dnbiola wrote:I'll have to try this tomorrow and see if I can get my TV to accept 640x480 using this work around. I'm so disappointed that this hasn't worked. :(

It worked!!! My Dreamcast has never looked so stinkin' amazing. :shock: I can't wait to play all my DC games all over again!
Shogun
32-bit

Post by Shogun »

I watched a video a guy did on youtube and he basically was saying how many games on the Dreamcast are compatible with VGA output but not OPTIMIZED for it. He used Virtua Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom as an example where VF was optimized for VGA output and would look better at the higher resolution but MvC is a low res game and therefore would look worse. Can anyone confirm this?

This would mean the game I primarily play which are 2D fighters and shmups would look worse over VGA since its mostly to be used with 3D games?
dnbiola

Post by dnbiola »

I'm new at this (obviously--see above posts), but I just tried MvC using the VGA and thought it looked gorgeous. Though my eye may be untrained.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Shogun wrote:I watched a video a guy did on youtube and he basically was saying how many games on the Dreamcast are compatible with VGA output but not OPTIMIZED for it. He used Virtua Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom as an example where VF was optimized for VGA output and would look better at the higher resolution but MvC is a low res game and therefore would look worse. Can anyone confirm this?

This would mean the game I primarily play which are 2D fighters and shmups would look worse over VGA since its mostly to be used with 3D games?

While it might have some truth to it (in that some games will run at a higher res), they will still be looking at there best as the VGA cable is the best option as a cable for the DC regardless of the res. (Colours will be better, colours wont bleed, etc).
spiffy0ne

Post by spiffy0ne »

Hello,

I recently purchased a DC + VGA box from someone here on the forums. My issue is this - I hooked up the DC to the VGA box using S-video cable and red and white RCA jack for sound. When I play games there is a low buzzing sound which is very pronounced on screens with white backgrounds for some reason. My guess is it has something to do with when the screen resolution changes. It's not to noticeable during gameplay though.

Now the real issue is there is a horrible flickering going on when playing no matter what is going on. For example when I play Mars Matrix whenever it goes to the game screen the top portion of the screen is warped and unreadable (scores) for the first 5 seconds of the level. And like I said the whole entire time no matter what game I play there is bars going on the screen that flicker constantly.

When I hook it up to composite it looks and works fine though. Oh for reference the cables I use to hook up work great when hooked up to my modded Genesis. No sound or video issues.

Thank you for any suggestions or help
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

The VGA box has a direct connection to the Dreamcast and a VGA output with a separate purchased VGA cable. Use the small mini stereo output jack for audio to your amplified speakers. The RCA and SVideo jacks are an alternate output for the games that don't support VGA. Slide the bypass switch in the box to change from VGA.

The Mars Matrix might be a 50hz PAL game.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
spiffy0ne

Post by spiffy0ne »

I also use a Sony Wega Trinitron CRT. Are you using S-video as well? Do you think its a faulty box or our televisions?