Genesis 3 or 6 button controler - Which do you prefer?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast

Which do you prefer?

Original 3-Button Controller
8%
Original 6-Button Controller
62%
Redesigned 6-Button Controller
15%
I like them all equally!
15%

Total votes: 13

Ziggy

Genesis 3 or 6 button controler - Which do you prefer?

Post by Ziggy »

Assuming you're playing a game that doesn't make use of XYZ buttons, which controller do you prefer?

Personally, I pretty much always have the 6-button controller plugged into my Genesis. It's only on a rare occasion that I'll use a 3 button controller. I guess if I had to choose my preference is the feel of the 6-button controller, but that's not to say the original design is uncomfortable. I think I mostly just leave the 6-button control plugged in so I don't have to switch controllers if I play a game that makes use of the extra buttons.

Apparently enough people must like the feel of the original controller because Retro Bit made the "Big 6" controller, which is a 6-button controller in the shape of a 3 button controller.

There's also that redesigned 6-button controller. It seems to get a lot of hate. At least, every time I see it mentioned, it's usually followed by something like "stay far away" or "that god awful controller!" I kinda like it though. It was the pack in controller that came with the Genesis model 3, which was the first Genesis I ever owned, so I clocked a lot of hours on one of these. I have to admit that the D-Pad on the original 6-button is definitely better. But I do like the feel of both controllers.

bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Genesis 3 or 6 button controler - Which do you prefer?

Post by bmoc »

I also leave in the 6 button controller because I am lazy. The Retrobit controller is neat but I'm not so fond of the original controller that I need to get one. I'm glad that it exists though.

For those that like the 3 button controller best, I get it. I prefer the Xbox "duke" controller over the S. I spent too many hours playing Halo to convert to the S. I'd buy one of those Hyperkin Xbox One Duke controllers if they were about half the cost.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I prefer the 6 button, last pic. Don't care for the shape or size of the 3 button.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I like the original 6 Button, but you need to run an extension chord on that sucker. The cable is like 2 foot long.

Game Sack also just did a video on the MODE button on the 6 button, so will share.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2fLD3EKKw
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I have them all in great condition, and preferred the original 6-button, but after a WTB here when a member pointed out that Retrobit' recreation was actually good, I picked up a Retrobit 6 button, and I don't think they missed the mark when they tried to recreate it. It's perfect! Nothing feels off. I expect their 3-button will also be a perfect recreation. The price is well worth it for their 6-button. I have no hate for the redesign. It is also good, just IMO not necessary.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

If the 8bitdo controller was an option I would gone with that. Feels solid, not cheap, and great in your hands.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I too have the Retro Bit 6-button controller. And yes, you'd be really hard press to tell the difference. Outside of one being brand new, which is always a treat when you're use to old worn out controllers. I have the Genesis model, but I also picked up a USB model which works perfectly for Street Fighter on the PC.

emwearz wrote:I like the original 6 Button, but you need to run an extension chord on that sucker. The cable is like 2 foot long.

Check out the Retro Bit 6-button controller. It's officially licensed by Sega. The cable length is 10 feet. The cable is less stiff, too, which always use to be a complaint of mine for Sega controllers versus Nintendo ones.

https://retro-bit.com/sega-genesis-6-bu ... black.html

https://retro-bit.com/sega-genesis-6-bu ... -blue.html

stickem wrote:If the 8bitdo controller was an option I would gone with that. Feels solid, not cheap, and great in your hands.

This one? Yeah, the poll was more to do with Sega's official controllers for the consoles. But it's hard not to talk about options that exist. 8bitdo is making great stuff, as well as some other 3rd parties. I was actually ::this close:: to making an "other" option in the poll LOL.

I guess worth noting, if you're interested in wireless controllers, is the Joyzz by Krikzz (maker of the Everdrive).

https://krikzz.com/our-products/control ... yzzmd.html

I never used one, but it looks like he nailed the look and feel of the original 6-button controller.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

^ yes sir. Only mentioned it because the retrobit was brought up.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to police the thread. Just saying what I intended the spirit of the poll to be. But now that I think about it more, I really should have put an "other" option. It would be interesting to see how many people prefer a modern controller, or something non-standard, over an official controller.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

^no worries, didn't take it that way at all. Back in the day I kinda preferred this one to stock. I'm probably in the minority there lol.
https://retrodealio.com/product/sega-ge ... rformance/