SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 7974
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by marurun Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 am

mas wrote:Anyone want to make me some games. Don’t have the tools to do it and would pay for them


Well, developing homebrew titles is hard work. You would pay people to make new games?
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Richmond, VA. Formerly: Near the WV/VA border

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by samsonlonghair Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 am

marurun wrote:For example, did you know that the GD-ROM drive is mechanically just a standard Yamaha CD drive? Only the controller and firmware are different.

That's interesting. Has anyone ever tried flashing the GD-ROM firmware onto a standard Yamaha CD drive?
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 7974
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by marurun Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 am

samsonlonghair wrote:
marurun wrote:For example, did you know that the GD-ROM drive is mechanically just a standard Yamaha CD drive? Only the controller and firmware are different.

That's interesting. Has anyone ever tried flashing the GD-ROM firmware onto a standard Yamaha CD drive?


I am uncertain. I also don't know what custom chips might be on the controller and if the firmware is larger than the standard firmware on the otherwise equivalent Yamaha drive.
User avatar
Segata
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by Segata Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:06 pm

marurun wrote:[quote="Segata"

For example, did you know that the GD-ROM drive is mechanically just a standard Yamaha CD drive? Only the controller and firmware are different.


Yeah, I knew it was a Yamaha drive. It's also possible to overload the DC controller ports. That I have seen happen. It seems rare but seen it happen.
Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 7974
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by marurun Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Segata wrote:It's also possible to overload the DC controller ports. That I have seen happen. It seems rare but seen it happen.


What does this mean? How are you overloading the ports? What is overloading them?
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Richmond, VA. Formerly: Near the WV/VA border

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by samsonlonghair Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

marurun wrote:
Segata wrote:It's also possible to overload the DC controller ports. That I have seen happen. It seems rare but seen it happen.


What does this mean? How are you overloading the ports? What is overloading them?

I have seen more than one Dreamcast wherein the 1st Player controller port seems to be unresponsive. Maybe that's what Segata is talking about. I'm not so sure if that's cause by an overload; there may be a different cause. I would need to research the issue more before I can say for certain.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 7974
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by marurun Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:38 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:I have seen more than one Dreamcast wherein the 1st Player controller port seems to be unresponsive. Maybe that's what Segata is talking about. I'm not so sure if that's cause by an overload; there may be a different cause. I would need to research the issue more before I can say for certain.


That's what I'm trying to get at. I know there are things that can happen to the controller ports, but saying you can overload them doesn't help anyone know how to avoid it and doesn't actually describe what's happening AFAIK.

I know that my Dreamcast will read all of my controllers in port 1 except my green one. That one has to be plugged into ports 2 or 4, for some reason, or it doesn't work. No idea why.
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11789
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by CRTGAMER Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Just avoid hot swap of controllers while the power is on. I soldered in a Diode to mine when port one failed.
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
User avatar
Segata
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by Segata Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I forget what it is but something right behind the controller ports shorts out if it's drawing too much power if all 4 ports used at once with stuff more than just the standard controller. It's not a guaranteed failure but prone to happen.
Image
User avatar
SpaceBooger
Moderator
 
Posts: 3920
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 am
Location: The AK-Rowdy

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by SpaceBooger Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 pm

I really want to support, Kickstart, Senile Team's newest game Intrepid Izzy. It looks like they will not reach the goal (half way with only 3 days left) but they have working demos that they have sent out. So maybe this will get made even without the kickstarter funding.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Return to Sega

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest