How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SteveyMajors
24-bit

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

Post by SteveyMajors »

GSZX1337 wrote:I think the moral of the thread is: Play Dynamite Cop. It kicks ass.

Yes. You get to beat people up with pretty much everything (a rocket launcher, an arcade cabinet, a pepper shaker, etc.) and you get to save the president's daughter, who is ugly beyond words. Even the instruction manual is hilarious.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am reaping the benefits of this thread... I will try it Fire Pro Wrestling , Toy Commander , and Dynamite Cop.

My problem with a lot of the exclusive that remain ont he Dreamcast is that they are not of high quality , not on par with stuff Like Shenmue, Soul Calibur , Sonic, RE , and you know the rest. Actually they are lower than average. Here are some suggest games in comparison : D2 , Spawn, WWF Royal Rumble .

As for porting Fighters and Shmups , maybe fighters will be neglected by I see no reason not to port Shmups I believe they are easy to port (i am guessing) and would probably be able to run on anything from smartphone to ps4 . Not sure why the publisher of one of they shmups not put it on iOS and it will sell probably at least few 100ks . I mean if Temple Run 2 got 50m downloads in 2 weeks , the possibilites are big.

All this port talking makes me think why is there no effort for Saturn ports.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

kingmohd84 wrote:All this port talking makes me think why is there no effort for Saturn ports.

Because the Saturn was a complex beast of a machine that was a pain in the ass to make games for and porting would make things even more convoluted. Not that it hasn't been done.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

GSZX1337 wrote:
kingmohd84 wrote:All this port talking makes me think why is there no effort for Saturn ports.

Because the Saturn was a complex beast of a machine that was a pain in the ass to make games for and porting would make things even more convoluted. Not that it hasn't been done.

I do not understand programing or computer hardware, but I am guessing that current hardware runs light-speed circles around Saturn's hardware . Even if it will have a hard time running its games, it will still be able to run them...
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

kingmohd84 wrote:I do not understand programing or computer hardware, but I am guessing that current hardware runs light-speed circles around Saturn's hardware . Even if it will have a hard time running its games, it will still be able to run them...

It is a lot more complicated than just modern processors being faster.
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

I have given up Ferrari F335 as a bad job as i find it completely unplayable so its back to 18 Wheeler and TR Chronicles for me.
SteveyMajors
24-bit

Post by SteveyMajors »

AppleQueso wrote:It is a lot more complicated than just modern processors being faster.

That's right. Individual games have their problems, too. Isn't it true that Sega lost the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga?
marurun

Post by marurun »

SteveyMajors wrote:Isn't it true that Sega lost the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga?

That's the rumor, though I've never seen it formally verified through an official source. Not the kind of thing you want to tell customers or folks who might contract you for programming services.

Also, I lied earlier in the thread. My TV doesn't have a VGA port : (
I cannot play the DC with VGA out on my nice, new TV.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

SteveyMajors wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:It is a lot more complicated than just modern processors being faster.

That's right. Individual games have their problems, too. Isn't it true that Sega lost the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga?

They probably have some version of the code floating around, but it's probably not the final revision. I wouldn't be shocked if they lost it.

According to a lot of people who did localization for games back in the 90s, Japanese companies are notorious for poor source control. You were lucky if they still had source code lying around, and when they did, often it was outdated and needed to be patched up to the final versions's specs.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

AppleQueso wrote:
kingmohd84 wrote:I do not understand programing or computer hardware, but I am guessing that current hardware runs light-speed circles around Saturn's hardware . Even if it will have a hard time running its games, it will still be able to run them...

It is a lot more complicated than just modern processors being faster.

Its just so amazng to me how a PS3 could run psx and ps2 games, complex 3d games, no worries but Saturn cant be emulated even on a full powered PC (or thats what I heard)