How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

Post by Reprise »

I have 111 Dreamcast games. I'm pretty much done collecting for it. I think I have pretty much every game I really want for it. The only games I have left to buy for it are Indie and Kickstarter releases I'm still waiting on. I have the Flashback port pre-ordered for example and a load of Indie releases. There's also a couple of Kickstarters. I'm sure most will see the light of day eventually, but I doubt I'll ever see Elysian Shadows...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

mas wrote:The games are too expensive and I don’t have spending funds to get a copy of mars matrix for 100.00.

I found a US copy of Mars Matrix when I was in Japan, and bought it for about the equivalent of $35 USD. That was years ago, but I've always been glad I found that. It's a great game, but I have to setup my US console to play it, which doesn't happen much these days. I guess it's to be expected, but it kind of sucks that some of these games have gone up so much. Maybe I should actually sell my US Gigawing 2, now--.

mas wrote:It’s been a while since anyone posted but does anyone still play or collect for the Dreamcast anymore or is everyone here like done with their collection or gaming of the Dreamcast?

There was a point around the end of the year, last year, where I was playing nothing but Dreamcast games, but I haven't really touched it in a while now, unfortunately. I'm at 219 unique titles in my collection (234, including regional releases of the same game), and there are still 100 or more game for the console that I would want, in a heartbeat, for the right price. I don't really buy much for video games, anymore, though. Partly, I just don't find the prices to be as tempting as they were five or six years ago, and also I just have enough games, at this point.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yo pierrot, have you played Tricolore Crise?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yo pierrot, have you played Tricolore Crise?

I have, actually! I beat it earlier in the year. It's an interesting game. There are three rival teams, and each one has their own line of story events (a lot of them can be missed, and I actually missed out on an entire team's storyline, almost entirely). The UI is all fairly simple, without much in the way of frills. In terms of the general layout of things, it's a bit like Evolution. There are standard, predefined, dungeons, though. The combat is a little unique, in that you can only ever control one of the three main characters at a time, and each character can have up to two little guardian angels (pretty literally, from their names, in Japanese) that you can raise like pets. Those have classes, that can be changed by giving them certain items, that mostly have to be crafted.

There's a lot of crafting to the game (for leveling up the guardian angels, which is all but essential) but it's generally pretty simple stuff. The pace of the game is pretty slow, though. The story starts out as just a group of girls who want to become 'Tower Masters' to protect people from the growing monster hoards, and are competing in a bunch of trials in order to do so. It gets into some stuff about sentience, later on, but is overall, a little unspectacular. Graphics are fairly nice, if a little plain at times.

I liked it, I guess, but I don't know if I would really ever recommend it to anyone. It turned out to be way more of a commitment than I had anticipated when I started it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Thanks for the info! It may be one I pick up sometime in the distant future - the typical asking price isn't particularly offensive.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Can I use the gameshark to play imports? Would love to buy guilty gear and kof series
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't know all the individual methods that do indeed work, but I use this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GameShark-Ch ... /819557108
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

mas wrote:Can I use the gameshark to play imports? Would love to buy guilty gear and kof series

There's are millions of ways to play imports on the Dreamcast. Gameshark should work, but there's also Action Replay, DC-X, Code Breaker etc. A genuine disc isn't required, you can just download a rip and burn it to CD-R. I'd like a genuine disc of DC-X at some point, but the last time I searched for one on Ebay, the listings were just a bunch of people trying to sell back ups for £10 :roll:

My Dreamcast has the region-free bios flashed anyways though.
Last edited by Reprise on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Yes, Gameshark works. What I have used since 2003. It's best not to use CD-Rs on your DC. It's really hard on the laser and will kill your DC faster.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Segata wrote:It's really hard on the laser and will kill your DC faster.

I avoid CD-Rs personally too, but I doubt just using one as a boot disc for imports is going to hamper the longevity of your console by much.