Sega Saturn Action Replay won't work! Help!

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
theclaw
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Saturn Action Replay won't work! Help!

Post by theclaw »

SaturnHST wrote:I suggest getting the region-free bios mod done. I don't have to rely on the cartridge slot anymore. No more need to mess with switches or switchless mods. Just put the disc in and play.

Well that's not 100% everything. The region free bios cannot toggle 50/60hz. PAL saturn owners would be stuck playing all their imports slower without a further mod.
Lum fan.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

See, this is why the action replay cart never leaves my saturn
zidane

Post by zidane »

I've read that some action replay carts are counterfeit, with the majority of them floating around ebay. Check to make sure there is in fact a computer chip with capacitors and resistors on it.
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

Zombie_X wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Too bad the Sega brand memory carts are so expensive. I got a new Action Replay for less than what I see used Sega memory carts go for.

You could by Japanese memory cards. They are about $10 each. Hell I have 4 of them now.

It's hard to beat the official cart. If you make sure the cart and the cart slot is clean, you will never have a problem. Direct saving on games like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Nights are seamless with it, and you never lose your saves if you let your system battery die.
demon

Post by demon »

Thank you a lot, especially the information shared on page one :)

Bought a saturn second hand, wasn't sure if the cartridge slot isn't probably damaged or non functional. Bought Bug! from a regional online fleemarket where the guys is actually supposed to state if the product is PAL or not if it is, so I got an NTSC one. Shipping back wasn't an option since that dude really started to seem shady a lot.

Then I bought a PAL gamebuster from ebay which arrived today and couldn't get it to work at first, plus I have never had a saturn before and the model I got is a model A. So no experience with a saturn, model A, no signs of region reference on the gamebuster cartridge and no ideas what to do than regular gameboy steps giving the slots a tight blow - until I read your help about not putting the cartridge in to the very end and woop - menu shows up, Bug! plays very well :)

So actually I only registered to say thank you a lot or else I'd probably still be lost!!

PS: Anyone knows if the Gamebuster codes for "Parodius - JAP" also work on the PAL version? Since the port on top requires a custom connect for a custom card which wouldn't even fit in nowadays pcs anymore I guess I'm going to have a hard time updating codes for the PAL version?
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

Disclaimer! I am not responsible for you bricking your cart if something goes wrong.

You could still update it with the Action Replay firmware since its the same device, but you would need to burn a disc and do disc swap to get the utility to boot and there will be an option to update it.

Just make sure not to use the PS firmware and sellect the Action Replay instead.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... post766461

You will also be able to find the iso here on this video wich show instructions, but like I said, don't flash to PS unless you want to play backups and loose your codes and save option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujYFV1t5zY

He has a download in the description.

Here is the thread I originally talked about it in.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47890
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

demon wrote:Thank you a lot, especially the information shared on page one :)

Bought a saturn second hand, wasn't sure if the cartridge slot isn't probably damaged or non functional. Bought Bug! from a regional online fleemarket where the guys is actually supposed to state if the product is PAL or not if it is, so I got an NTSC one. Shipping back wasn't an option since that dude really started to seem shady a lot.

Then I bought a PAL gamebuster from ebay which arrived today and couldn't get it to work at first, plus I have never had a saturn before and the model I got is a model A. So no experience with a saturn, model A, no signs of region reference on the gamebuster cartridge and no ideas what to do than regular gameboy steps giving the slots a tight blow - until I read your help about not putting the cartridge in to the very end and woop - menu shows up, Bug! plays very well :)

So actually I only registered to say thank you a lot or else I'd probably still be lost!!

PS: Anyone knows if the Gamebuster codes for "Parodius - JAP" also work on the PAL version? Since the port on top requires a custom connect for a custom card which wouldn't even fit in nowadays pcs anymore I guess I'm going to have a hard time updating codes for the PAL version?

The factory codes included should tell you what region a cheat cartridge was meant for.
If there's English menus, but JAP codes, it's probably Asian.
Lum fan.
citchmook

Games won't work with codes?

Post by citchmook »

I've tried several games and the game itself loads fine but when I go to actually load a save file or start a game, if I have any Action Replay codes activated it doesn't load into the game world. Other than that the cart works completely fine for me.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

If anyone has the same issue as OP.
Take a q tip remove one end stick the broken end down in the slot and insert AR. Should work. Had that happen to me before.

citchmook wrote:I've tried several games and the game itself loads fine but when I go to actually load a save file or start a game, if I have any Action Replay codes activated it doesn't load into the game world. Other than that the cart works completely fine for me.

Some games you have to do some trick. For Panzer Dragoon Azel I had to do something and looked it up on Youtube. Have you tried disabling the codes? Those codes can break some games.