SegaCD v. Genesis titles

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

SegaCD v. Genesis titles

Post by o.pwuaioc »

There is a lot of overlap between SegaCD and Genesis titles (Ecco, NHL 94, Mortal Kombat 2, etc..). What titles are better on the SegaCD than on the Genesis or vice versa? Which ones are then especially worth it to have on the SegaCD considering the price factor?

Better on SegaCD:

NHL 94 (Luke from another thread)
Ecco the Dolphin/Tides of Time (Xeogred)
    check points
Earthworm Jim (Xeogred)
    extra levels
Final Fight (Xeogred)
    arcade version
Mortal Kombat (noiseredux)
    no blood code
Eternal Champions (noiseredux)
    extra characters
Batman Returns (Redifer, o.pwuaioc)
    cool driving scenes
Flashback (G-Darius)
    additional redrawn cutscenes; better sound
Sol-Feace (Blu)
    better sound; cutscenes
Terminator (dogman91)
    music

Better on Genesis:

Earthworm Jim (Luke; Xeogred)
    "grittier"
Ecco 2 Tides of Time (Xeogred)
    music
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: SegaCD v. Genesis titles

Post by Xeogred »

Even happened with the Saturn sometimes (Sonic 3D) and I honestly think it's really cool how a lot of games had various ports, since the developers would more often utilize the hardware's capabilities and change things up, like completely new music, and things like that. So in some cases it makes playing all versions worthwhile to me.

Nothing specific comes to mind, but the Ecco CD games have checkpoints whenever you pass a crystal. In the Genesis versions there are no checkpoints in the levels, so the CD versions are a lot easier in a way.

I think Earthworm Jim has 1-2 extra levels that also appeared in the PC version. I think it might have the more risque animations as well (like Jim taking a leak), but I'm not sure.

Final Fight CD is more like the arcade version and has Guy, so it's a lot better than the SNES port.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Mortal Kombat requires no blood code.

Oh and Eternal Champions has more characters on SCD.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Xeogred wrote:Nothing specific comes to mind, but the Ecco CD games have checkpoints whenever you pass a crystal. In the Genesis versions there are no checkpoints in the levels, so the CD versions are a lot easier in a way.

I was just looking into this for Ecco: Tides of Time! (not Ecco 1)

Is the game the same except for the soundtracks? I Google'd all over the place and couldn't find a definitive answer so far.

In terms of music for Ecco 2 though, the opening title track on the Genesis version sounds awesome, though those synth pads in other tracks using the Genesis' sound chip sound kind of ugly IMO compared to the CD version. Kind of a toss-up for me if the gameplay and other content are the same between those two versions.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

noiseredux wrote:Mortal Kombat requires no blood code.

Oh and Eternal Champions has more characters on SCD.

The Sega CD game is a port of the Genesis game? Never did get to play it, but I thought it was a sequel. Is that not the case?
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I'm going to keep op updated, if you guys don't mind.
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

Just had a similar discussion on another forum regarding Terminator Sega CD,it is a good looking game for sure but i found the left,right,up,down,pick up item and repeat format un-interesting after 10 mins so i reckon it is no better playability wise than the MD cart version.

I have just started playing Flashback on Sega CD which seems to have some additional or re-drawn cut scenes and better sound (no surprise) at least on the Jungle Level.
Redifer
128-bit

Post by Redifer »

Batman Returns:

-Awesome driving levels

-You can turn platform levels off (You can do this in the cart version, too, but it requires that you turn off the console and leave it off).

-Better music

Final Fight is not available on cartridge. It is a Sega CD exclusive unless you count the SNES version.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Redifer wrote:Batman Returns

Ah, I had entirely forgotten about that!

Final Fight is not available on cartridge. It is a Sega CD exclusive unless you count the SNES version.

Xeogred did mention the SNES version. Might be useful information for those looking to buy.
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

its kinda off topic.

But I cant really play Sonic Blast on the genesis.

I Like it better on the saturn. Sonic 3D Blast.

I think it may be because I got it on saturn first.

Better sound and graphics.

Also the Saturn bonus stages are different from the Genesis.

Its also funny that in compilation games they include the genesis game and not the saturn version.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4