Great possibility of a shenmue 3?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Great possibility of a shenmue 3?

Post by Blu »

Sorry for the double post, here's the highlights for me.

- The 11 Images of Shenmue's Chapters. Incredibly awesome.
- The Map Image. It prompts me with more questions than answers, whichi is totally okay!
- The AI Scripts and Algorithms are amazing, genius, and now industry standard. Before I thought Sandbox games, QTE's, and other areas of exploration were heavily influenced by Shenmue, learning of these new things just bolsters Suzuki-san's knack for gaming. To think he came up with compression techniques to help with data constrictions, an algorithm for rooms in the game, and other things is simply wondrous.
- Loved the tidbits about working out the quirks. Hearing about a deserted warehouse district only to see that everyone is trying to get breakfast at Tomato convenience was a hilarious anecdote.
- Watching Suzuki-san laugh at Ryo's Coca-cola animation just affirms for me that he's a man that isn't so serious that he can't laugh at himself. On the real though I'd watch Ryo drink Coke all day and not get tired of it.

Learned a lot from Suzuki-san's talk today. Some hearing things I had read about before but hearing it first-hand from Yu made it that much better. Nothing but incredible respect for Yu, and hearing about his legacy.

I thought the Q & A was interesting, with a decent amount of interesting and worthwhile questions. Glad to see there wasn't many troll questions that wasted Suzuki-san's time.
Last edited by Blu on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Link to vid?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Listening to him talk about the game development, you could really tell he holds Shenmue incredibly close to his heart. When the videos would play, you could hear the little bursts of fanboy giggling coming from him as he is so proud of the series.

Also, here are the 11 pictures desginated to the 11 chapters when it was still about Akira.

I would love to go deep into detail about those images, but I am curious to know what other people think of them. I still do not know how the ending of Shenmue 2 really ties into the rest of the story. These images tend to be very vague about the progression of the character, sticking to those points that Suzuki referenced about redemption and the like.

Also, the to be continued means he will definitely be doing another talk about Shenmue 2's development, so I am very excited to hear about that.

Plus....WHY WOULD THEY ASK A QUESTION ABOUT SPACE HARRIER AT A SHENMUE Q&A.....COME ON!!!!!!!!! ......rage complete.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I'd say the Chapter Concept Art is ordered chronologically from left to right. So the first five images were the content of Shenmue 1 & 2. Image four seems to be the one that looks the most vague from interpretation. Is that Man-mo Temple?

I think that's consistent with the map image and Ryo's adventure through Shenmue 1 & 2.

Overall, what I think is cool is Suzuki-san shared that information for the first time and how Akira and Ryo -- almost as if Shenmue is a spiritual side story to Virtua Fighter's Akira Yuki.

MrNash
32-bit

Post by MrNash »

The recent chatter of Suzuki considering Kickstarter to bring back Shenmue has me intrigued. I'd love to see that happen. I don't usually get behind those things, but would support Shenmue 3 in a heartbeat. Can't help but think the server would blow up from the demand.
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

MrNash wrote:The recent chatter of Suzuki considering Kickstarter to bring back Shenmue has me intrigued. I'd love to see that happen. I don't usually get behind those things, but would support Shenmue 3 in a heartbeat. Can't help but think the server would blow up from the demand.

I'd be interested for sure. That's assuming he can get a competent team lined up to help him with it. It doesn't even have to be cutting edge technically either. Just go in with a clear focus and don't worry about pumping the game full of GRAFIX!!1
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I'm surprised it's still keeping steam. The twitter feed still runs up hundreds of posts a day, highlighting the GDC and the upcoming GameLab Conference (also with Mark Cerny) in Tokyo.

Keep your fingers crossed. I'm not kidding that I'd drop a $250 or so on a Shenmue III kickstarter and/or invest in a next gen for the aspirations of a denouement to Yu Suzuki's series.

http://tokyo.gamelabconference.com/english/
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

People are still passionate. I'd definitely back a Kickstarter were there to be one and I don't back anything. :lol: I'll also add my voice to the calls for HD or download versions. Get them on PS4, WiiU, Steam whatever just get them up.

A lot of the stuff from GDC was fascinating. The approach taken by Sega with Shenmue was unique and it shows in the final piece. I wish the story could be complete but we still have two brilliant games to show.

I think Edge magazine summed Shenmue up best with "are there any Shenmue clones?". What they mean is, for such an influential game, none have ever tried to copy that exact style unlike say Doom, Mario etc.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sload Soap wrote:People are still passionate. I'd definitely back a Kickstarter were there to be one and I don't back anything. :lol: I'll also add my voice to the calls for HD or download versions. Get them on PS4, WiiU, Steam whatever just get them up.

A lot of the stuff from GDC was fascinating. The approach taken by Sega with Shenmue was unique and it shows in the final piece. I wish the story could be complete but we still have two brilliant games to show.

I think Edge magazine summed Shenmue up best with "are there any Shenmue clones?". What they mean is, for such an influential game, none have ever tried to copy that exact style unlike say Doom, Mario etc.

Shenmue is one of those games that 10 years down from now (more than 20 years from when the game was initially released) people will look back at it and see how it has influenced games. I feel like Shenmue attempted to do something for games that we really won't see as a standard for a very long time.

What bothers me the most is the Sega has stated that they have the HD shenmue games, but are waiting to release them for, "The right time." Which I know is when they decide to coming close to finishing a Shenmue 3. Will we ever see it? Who knows.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:People are still passionate. I'd definitely back a Kickstarter were there to be one and I don't back anything. :lol: I'll also add my voice to the calls for HD or download versions. Get them on PS4, WiiU, Steam whatever just get them up.

Shenmue is one of those games that 10 years down from now (more than 20 years from when the game was initially released) people will look back at it and see how it has influenced games. I feel like Shenmue attempted to do something for games that we really won't see as a standard for a very long time.

What bothers me the most is the Sega has stated that they have the HD shenmue games, but are waiting to release them for, "The right time." Which I know is when they decide to coming close to finishing a Shenmue 3. Will we ever see it? Who knows.

Have they actually said this? Not trolling... if so point me in the direction of the quote pls good sir. I think a HD Shenmue 1 & 2 bundle would sell great & encourage them to release 3 gauged on the support.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5