Dreamcast can play NeoGeo CD games?!

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Dreamcast can play NeoGeo CD games?!

Post by noiseredux »

apparently you can burn a bootdisc to play NGCD games on DC. That's amazing to me. So now I have another library of games to look into. What are some excellent NGCD exclusives I might want to keep my eyes peeled for? Especially shmups? I know of Last Resort... also, how are NGCD prices?
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast can play NeoGeo CD games?!

Post by dedalusdedalus »

There's a very small list of NGCD exclusives. Last Resort is an excellent shooter, but it's not an exclusive since it's on AES and MVS. The ones most people will care about are probably Crossed Swords II and Ironclad. The other exclusives are heavy on Japanese-language, or fan-service type compilations.

Crossed Swords works a bit like arcade Punch-Out, where you have a view behind a wire-frame model of your player, and you strategically attack enemies on their weak spot. Ironclad is a competent top-view horizontal-scrolling shooter.

As for prices, most Neo Geo CD titles are dirt-cheap. However, the exclusives I mentioned are pricey. Metal Slug 1 and 2 for the CD are are also kind of expensive even though they're not even close to being as rare as the AES version...they tend to hover slightly over/under $100 for MS1 and over/under $70 for MS2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

thanks!

And when I said exclusives, I guess I just meant more like games that haven't been ported to DC, PS1/PS2, etc.
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

Last Resort is actually an incredibly mediocre shump.

The real question though, will playing these games on your Dreamcast improve the load times? That is what I really want to know.
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

noiseredux wrote:thanks!

And when I said exclusives, I guess I just meant more like games that haven't been ported to DC, PS1/PS2, etc.

Hmm, that's a hard call. I'm sure almost everything has been ported in the various SNK anthologies. Even Last Resort was in SNK Arcade Classics 1. The major series like Metal Slug, Sam Sho, KoF, AoF, Fatal Fury all had PS2 anthologies. Last Blade 2 and Mark of the Wolves were on Dreamcast.

And then other titles had ports through Japan-region only, like Last Blade 1 (PSX), Matrimelee (PS2).

I'm guessing some of the more obscure early titles never saw a port because there was just no incentive to make one. So stuff like Mutation Nation, Aero Fighters 2, League Bowling, Puzzled, Ghost Pilots etc...
kingbuzzo
16-bit

Post by kingbuzzo »

I was really into NEO/DC and Neo4all when they came out years ago. At the time I didn't own a Neo Geo so I was really impressed with the results.

I'd say do yourself a favour and use a mamebox or console ports to play these games. Neo4all is decent in that it will run the games at 60fps, and the load times are cut to almost nothing.

BUT!

The emulation isn't very accurate, some parts feel faster or slower than on the Neo Geo.
There is detectable input lag in my case though most will not notice at all.
You cannot use retail NEOCD games, they must be burned and burns are often unreliable in my experience. I've had the BGM drop out many times and it's so annoying.

it's fun to mess around with, but I'd recommend finding a better way to play these games.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Playing NGCD games on oXBox, myself... Haven't noticed any difference between the oXbox emulator and the original hardware, (aside from the controllers, of ocurse.) And the ability to FTP files saves me on CD-Rs.

Noise, what's your word on the Dreamcast avenue of NGCD emu?

And does anybody know of an emulator capable of playing original NeoGeo CDs, rather than/in addition to backups?
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

can you play retail neo geo cd games on anything but a pc and the real console?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Post by Inazuma »

noiseredux wrote:apparently you can burn a bootdisc to play NGCD games on DC.

0_0!
Does it improve the load times? If so, how do I burn that boot disc? I have a model 2 Neo Geo CD, and the load times are so bad it is pretty much unplayable.
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

Inazuma wrote:
noiseredux wrote:apparently you can burn a bootdisc to play NGCD games on DC.

0_0!
Does it improve the load times? If so, how do I burn that boot disc? I have a model 2 Neo Geo CD, and the load times are so bad it is pretty much unplayable.

See for yourself. It took nearly 17 seconds to load the first round of RB: FFS. I find that unacceptable, but I don't know how it compares to the Neo Geo CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2fm_vJP ... re=related