SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Jamestheswift
8-bit

by Jamestheswift Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:44 pm

Mozgus wrote:
Jamestheswift wrote:say I was to buy a brand new one in box, is there any way to tell if its model 1 or 2? by like box cover art maybe?

Say you were to tell us where you were buying these "brand new" Dreamcasts. What say you then?

I have a secret source...codename Ebay
Jamestheswift
8-bit

by Jamestheswift Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:52 pm

thxjabba

by thxjabba Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:26 am

Hi,

this is cut from wikipedia:
Contrary to popular belief, all Dreamcasts recognize and play CD-R's, however, Mil-CD support was removed from later revisions of the Dreamcast hardware. The manufacturing and distribution of these revisions were extremely limited, none being shipped and sold by Sega outside of Japan, with the first and one of the few models of the revised Dreamcasts being the limited Sakura Taisen model.

Just imported a DC from the US. After placing the order I found this thread.
When I recived the DC I discovered that it was labeled '2'.

I tried booting with a cdr and that failed. But these were just some cheap cdr i had laying around.
According to the wikipedia my DC should be able to boot backup games so I'm not giving up just yet :evil:

I will keep you posted, if I am able to get this to work.
thxjabba

by thxjabba Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:29 pm

I can confirm that DC version 2 or whatever the '2' stands for can boot cdr backups just fine :D :D :D

Burnt the game with DJ at 8x on a Verbatim CD-R. Had to try three times before it booted. This might be the cause of a poor laser in my DC, or that the media I've used is not top quality.
Fred83

by Fred83 Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Ok theres been alot of hoo haw about all this,but does anyone know for sure,would playing cd-r's break the laser on your dreamcast?
The Apprentice
128-bit

by The Apprentice Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:24 pm

Actually the number in the circle does not refer to "model" but instead to "revision". A revision 0 is the model they had at launch untill they made hardware changes to make the thing more reliable, thus being rev. 1, and then later changes or reliabillity and anti-piracy, rev. 2.
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.
dudex77
32-bit

by dudex77 Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:12 pm

The Apprentice wrote:Actually the number in the circle does not refer to "model" but instead to "revision". A revision 0 is the model they had at launch untill they made hardware changes to make the thing more reliable, thus being rev. 1, and then later changes or reliabillity and anti-piracy, rev. 2.
Yes but rev. 2 doesn't actually prevent piracy it just doesn't let you play mil-cds and makes it so that the cdrs need to be burnt in a less conventional way in order to boot.
The Apprentice
128-bit

by The Apprentice Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:22 pm

Do you suppose we call it "somewhat-anti-piracy"?

Obviouslly sega realized the second revision needed to do something to stop or slow down pracy, so why not make it incompatible with the games that were already pirated? Now buyers who wanted to use pirated games had to go through a series of inconvenient conversions.
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:08 pm

Hope I don't get in trouble for posting on an old thread ...

I worked at best buy during the dreamcast launch and dreamcast demise... and we tested returns using a utopia bootdisc (because we could). We never had a model that wouldn't boot unless it had a bad laser (i tested them again with crazy taxi just in case)
--
Gennss
--
Return to Sega