Dreamcast versions

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Ivo
Next-Gen

Dreamcast versions

Post by Ivo »

I'm considering buying a Dreamcast, but I'd like to be sure I get a model which reads burned CDs. Is there a safe way of distinguishing them?
I'm probably going to try for one by ebay, so something that the potential seller could check and tell me (e.g. Serial number? Noticeable form factor differences as the Saturn MkI and MkII had?) would be what I'm asking for.

Thanks in advance!

Ivo.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'll have to dig up the list, but to be honest, I've dealt with a LOT of people with Dreamcasts, and I have yet to meet anybody that couldn't play CDRs.
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

There's no difference in form factors at all. You just have to get one manufactured before October of 2000. But just to be safe, I'd get one that was made way before then.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I'm with racket... tons of people "said" there was problems with certain versions, but have yet to meet someone who ACTUALLY had a problem (aside from improperly burning the disc).
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

Well, the way they were made - all dreamcast can read cd-rs. But the later model ones cannot read the standard image that most rips are made in. It would make you go through a long conversion process with a standard image in order to make it work on a later model dreamcast. I hear people ask questions about that all the time. And they hate doing the conversion, and just end up getting an earlier model dreamcast.

Most of the Dreamcasts out there are earlier ones anyways. If my memory serves me correctly, they stopped producing the DC hardware in march or may of 2001. So they only produced the later model for about half a year.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

jemsic wrote:Well, the way they were made - all dreamcast can read cd-rs. But the later model ones cannot read the standard image that most rips are made in. It would make you go through a long conversion process with a standard image in order to make it work on a later model dreamcast. I hear people ask questions about that all the time. And they hate doing the conversion, and just end up getting an earlier model dreamcast.

Most of the Dreamcasts out there are earlier ones anyways. If my memory serves me correctly, they stopped producing the DC hardware in march or may of 2001. So they only produced the later model for about half a year.

Is there any "benchmark" way of verifying when they were made? I thank you (and others) for having shed light in this issue, but unless the seller remembers he bought the Dreamcast before X isn't the most surefire way of not erring :)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I think the Manufacturer date is on a sticker on the bottom...
turkey
24-bit

Post by turkey »

i can recomend a early jap one with a modchip...... ohh just like mine :)

no really, I dont know of anyone over here (uk) with one that does not play cdr no matter tha build date, but i never went round and audited them, but i am sure people in my uni halls brough them in 2001 just to play copies, and none of them failed to deliver.

but mine is a freak machine, i have loads of cds that dont play on friends dc's but do on mine, the chip just seems to make it luuuurv the copies. Quite likes the original imports as well which is nice, and its original intended purpose, and as i am drunk you will get the full story.

Lovely weekend very much like this and off i went to a local game shop. They had DOA2 on display and it was looking like sex on a gd rom. They also wanted a fortune for it as it was an import and all the kids where on their holidays as well for some reason. So i went back 2 days later the price was slashed... or rather it was back to normal so i was too tempted. Now a clever person would realise that a cd case that you could clearly read and understand was not suitable for a jap console.... what a plank, so i went home with a still raher expensive game (£45 so roughly $80) and it didnt work. After feeling totally gutted as the sales assistant made it clear there was no refunde for it not working as it was an import and i stated that i was sure i understood this hand had appropriate hardware i decided to look online for a solution (as i had a saturn with a region switch). I came up with a modchip that i ordered and installed, thank god i got ti working but it was not easy as there was no pcb mounting like you get with modern chips. Anyhow story time over, and more whisky for me :)
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

I have 3 DC's and I have only encountered problems with one. It sometimes won't read cds burned at high speeds if they are not burned with nero, it's a very odd problem and it's only happened tome, still, I just burn with alcohol or DJ and problem solved.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

yeah, if you use Nero and Discjuggler for their native formats and burn 16X or lower with decent CDR media, you should be good to go.