Best Dreamcast Arcade Stick?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Well, I guess the agetec stick is something I should consider

I've been meaning to get a good stick for awhile. I have Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2 and Streetfighter III: Third Strike in my library, but I never go and play them because I only have regular Dreamcast controllers.

I love 2-d fighters, I hope to get a copy of X-men vs Streetfighter for my Saturn sometime soon.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Well I would definitely recommend the Agetec stick and XMvSF for the Saturn :)
XMvSF is still one of my favorites Saturn games (and my favorite in the VS series) along with Street Fighter Alpha 2
marurun

Post by marurun »

I kinda like my green, translucent Topmax stick. It seems to work OK.

On the topic of joysticks, does anybody know how to return some of the springy back to sticks? I have a Sega Saturn Arcade Stick I bought in Japan and brought home, but lately the stick has been sorta mushy and sometimes holds directions. Any advice?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Sorry I can't really help you there marurun, but regarding Racketboy's post,

Yeah, X-Men vs Street Fighter was awesome. I'll never forget the first time I unleashed Ken and Ryu's level 2 team super Hadoken attack. It was just a great, memorable moment for a Ken fan like myself to see him and his best buddy combine their powers. It'll be nice to be able to play that game at home(using a computer emulator just isn't the same). I have two six button pads so I may not actually need a stick for that, but we'll see.

I played SF Alpha 2 many times on the Playstation. Great game and a good port considering it was running on lesser hardware than the Saturn(well lesser for 2-d gaming I mean). I put more time into that one than I did Alpha 3. I'm not sure I'd say it's better than Alpha 3, but it did seem easier to get into without all those -isms. I kind of like it when things are kept simple. Alpha 3 did have some cool bonus features though

I hope I can get my hands on Vampire Savior too. I LOVE the underappreciated Darkstalkers series. B B Hood is one of the coolest fighting game characters in existence.

Hey Racketboy, how is the Saturn version of Marvel Super Heroes? I really liked that game in the arcade(Psylocke rules!)and it'd be nice to pick up the Saturn version if it's good. I saw it real cheap on ebay not too long ago. I'm a bit concerned about the quality of the port because, as I understand it, the RAM cart wasn't really put to use with that game.
marurun

Post by marurun »

G4L, Marvel Superheroes uses the 1 meg RAM cart functions to add a few extra frames of animation. It's quite a nice port. I like it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Cool, I'll have to get that sometime.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:G4L, Marvel Superheroes uses the 1 meg RAM cart functions to add a few extra frames of animation. It's quite a nice port. I like it.

I don't remember playing it with the RAM cart, but the load times were horrendous on that game.
Espio 1919
24-bit

Post by Espio 1919 »

There were other fighters on the Saturn that had that load time problem as well. I remember booting up Street Fighter Alpha for the first time only to be greeted with a long-ass load time before even getting to the title screen! And those loads appear in between matches as well, mind you it wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't just a black screen with "NOW LOADING..." written on the bottom. I have been searching for Marvel Super Heroes for a while; I used to play it all the time in an arcade that I frequented when I went to Edmonton, and I would love to have a home version of this game.
Raz1r
24-bit

Post by Raz1r »

I only have one Arcade stick, it's a 6-button Genesis one. It's fun to use for Bio Hazard Battle, Lightening Force and Mortal Kombat but it's a little worn.

I can't wait till I find an Agetec Stick.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

Marvel Super Heroes does have some long load times, but sometimes my thumbs are grateful for the break! Awesome game.