Dreamcast screen black

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Reprise
Next-Gen

Dreamcast screen black

Post by Reprise »

So it seems like another Dreamcast has bit the dust... :(

I've had this one since 2009, and it's run without any problems until now. However, tonight I came home from work to find my recent Ebay purchase, Marvel vs Capcom 2 had arrived, so after finishing off some work I started up the game and was having great fun. I paused the game after a while when it came to dinner time. The problem is, when I came back the screen had gone black and I could just faintly see the game.

Ive tried turning the console off and on, unplugging the scart and back in, trying different sockets, but the screen is permanently black. I've tested other consoles and they work fine, so it's not the TV either. Is this a known issue and does anyone have any advice of perhaps the cause or a possible fix? Also, is it likely it could be the cable at all? I have Googled the problem and visited a few sites that speak of a known problem of the screen going black after the start-up screen or when loading a game, but this is just permanently black for me.

Thanks. And sorry for the poor quality photos, thought they may help though.

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
mas
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast screen black

Post by mas »

It might be your scart cable. Did you try other cables or av cables for the system?
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I have an RF cable and a composite cable but they're left at my parents... Oh well, it's Father's day Sunday, maybe I'll pop round and nab a cable.

Actually, I have a spare Dreamcast back at my parents too, so apart from it not being the end of the world lol, I'll be able to diagnose whether it's a cable issue or the console. I'm just impatient and feel sad at the prospect I may have lost another Dreamcast.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

If you truely fried the video port on your DC, the most simplest solution would be to perhaps do an internal VGA mod to your console. Its fairly easy to do if your proficient with a soddering iron (plus, its a super cheap mod to perform!)

NEXT TIME DON'T LEAVE YOUR SYSTEM WHILE YOU GO HAVE DINNER. FUCK DINNER AIGHT! Or just simply don't leave your console unattended while its on. Turn it off! give it a break while you're taking yours ;)
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Jeeze, really? That sucks if true. Damn, I only left it on for an hour or two. I don't normally leave my consoles on for vast amounts of time (man, I'm lucky these days if I get a chance to play games for longer than half an hour), but I really suck at Marvel vs Capcom 2 and it was taking me ages to play through the Arcade game,

CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Jeeze, really? That sucks if true. Damn, I only left it on for an hour or two. I don't normally leave my consoles on for vast amounts of time (man, I'm lucky these days if I get a chance to play games for longer than half an hour), but I really suck at Marvel vs Capcom 2 and it was taking me ages to play through the Arcade game,

Well an hour or two is a lot in idle screen mode for a console (at least to me it is). I know the dreamcast will go into various levels of screen saver mode to prevent burn in on a screen. Really. . . Ages just goin thru 8 matches in arcade mode!? Wow, i usually plow thru that shit in 15 min or less.

http://youtu.be/LP8VnGLR5xg

Feel free to check out my other DC fighting games footage on my page. Good luck with your DC. I really hope ands up working again!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

CD AGES wrote:

Well an hour or two is a lot in idle screen mode for a console (at least to me it is). I know the dreamcast will go into various levels of screen saver mode to prevent burn in on a screen. Really. . . Ages just goin thru 8 matches in arcade mode!? Wow, it usually plow thru that shit in 15 min or less.

http://youtu.be/LP8VnGLR5xg

Feel free to check out my other DC fighting games footage on my page. Good luck with your DC. I really hope ands up working again!

Oh I don't mean an hour or two idle, just an hour or two total. And yeah, it was taking me a while, because I kept dying :P I haven't played any fighters in a good while, so I'm really out of practice. The 16 year old me would have breezed through it, the 23 year old me sucks :lol:

Thanks man. As I said, got a spare DC back at the parents anyways. So I'll give that one a go and check it's still working.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Update:

I have gone back to my parents today to pick up a spare cable and console, and it was the cable at fault, not the console. Overall good news, although I'm a bit annoyed the cable has broken, since it was an official Sega one, bought brand new only a couple of years ago.

Thanks for those who replied. Mods, feel free to close this now if you wish.