The 32X Appreciation Thread

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Czernobog
Next-Gen

The 32X Appreciation Thread

Post by Czernobog »

Inspired by comments in the Master System Appreciation Thread, I'm very interested in seeing how this thread fares.

I for one have had a lot of fun with my 32X, but that's mostly because I bought it for dirt cheap. It was three dollars so I don't have much to complain about. Although I really do wish I had the plastic spacer. (I use a sturdy piece of rubber to keep it sitting correctly)

As for the games, I played Knuckles Chaotix all the way through and enjoyed it quite a bit, but don't expect it to play like the Sonic games on Genesis. There are many more times when you need to slow down or stop. I also enjoyed Virtua Racing Deluxe and Virtua Fighter, but haven't played much else.

If I had payed 150 USD for the thing back in the day I wouldn't have been very happy considering the advent of the Saturn, but as a cheap piece of Sega history I think it's worth picking up for some quick fun or for completest collecting since there's not too many games.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Re: The 32X Appreciation Thread

Post by lisalover1 »

I always felt bad for the 32X as being a whole lot of lost potential. The Sega CD+32X combo is actually very powerful; as I have read, it is technically as powerful as the PS1. The fact that this combination's power was only used for some games to increase video resolutions is just sad. I would have loved to have seen some games that pushed the limits of the CD+32X; imagine a CD32x version of Doom or Wolfenstein!
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Bootaaay
128-bit

Post by Bootaaay »

I probably would have been pissed off too, had I bought the 32x back in the day - but as I bought it just a couple of years ago only for two games, and those two games turned out to be freaking amazing, I love the 32x!

Firstly, there's Kolibri - a beautiful and unique shooter from the makers of Ecco the Dolphin. Kolibri is a bit on the pricey side, but it's worth it for what is one of the most underrated and bizarre shooters out there.

Secondly, the 32x port of Blackthorne - I'd previously played Blackthorne on the SNES, but playing the 32x version was a joy, with it's broader colour pallete, 3d character models and a whole new area not featured in other versions. Easily the best version of this fantastic game.
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

The 32X has the highest percentage of quality titles in the entire 16-bit generation. :D

Almost all the ports (arcade or otherwise) are the definitive versions for the era, and the exclusive stuff like Kolibri, Chaotix, Tempo, and Star Wars really makes the system shine. Sure, it was a horrible marketing decision, but I love my 32X collection :)

sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

i actually like the 32x version of NBA JAM TE and WWF Raw :P
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

@dsheinem: Wow that's an awesome 32X collection you've got there! Very nice!

@lisalover: I would be all over a CD32X version of Wolfenstein in an instant!
SuperAnthony64
64-bit

Post by SuperAnthony64 »

I like Mortal Kombat 2, Knuckles Chaotix, Koibiri, Virtua racing and fighter. Star Wars arcade i have to play more of but hate the 32x doom.
3DS Friend Code: 4983 5187 8956
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Blackthorne has already being mentioned. Yeah great game on the 32X.

Chaotix. Nah not for me. Tried it didn't enjoy it. Like a temperamental dog on a leash. You want to go one way it wants to go another.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Bootaaay wrote:Firstly, there's Kolibri - a beautiful and unique shooter from the makers of Ecco the Dolphin. Kolibri is a bit on the pricey side, but it's worth it for what is one of the most underrated and bizarre shooters out there.

I was playing Kolibri a couple of days ago and thought the same thing. It's good-looking and different. It's also kind of easy (at least in the stages I've played) so it'd be a good beginner's game for someone wanting to get into shmups. :D
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Has anyone played some of the 32x games in an emulator? I think the best one is Kega Fusion. Does it play well?

I never had a 32x nor did I know anything about it until I joined these forums. Regarding the cost, I'm amazed at how much people are willing to spend on video games that just came out. You think 32x is expensive? The Saturn came out at $399. The PS3 was $499 & $599. Wow, that's a lot of moolah for a "toy".