SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mas
Next-Gen

Re: The Master System Appreciation Thread

by mas Sun May 14, 2017 2:42 pm

If you guys go on eBay and put as title lot of 17 games and under the sold listings 17 games went for 1009.00 all because buster Douglas boxing is in there.
And I thought prices were going to go down in price
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Sarge wrote:I don't like the SMS sound chip. I'll take the NES any day there. However, the uber-bright visuals of the SMS can certainly be appealing.

It just wasn't pushed to its limits back in the day. Here are some more recent homebrew examples that do that, though not in a game environment:
https://soundcloud.com/marcb0t/demo-r0bot-in-action
https://soundcloud.com/teffx/aftermath-sn76489
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:00 pm

I didn't want to but damn it just showed up on eBay and I'll be dames mad if I didn't do it. Got ninja gaiden complete
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Picked up master of darkness and ninja gaiden. Only ninja gaiden was complete but I've been wanting these for a year
Dreamcast Gamer
8-bit

by Dreamcast Gamer Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:48 pm

I just finished Streets Of Rage on SMS. It actually holds up quite well!
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Dreamcast Gamer wrote:I just finished Streets Of Rage on SMS. It actually holds up quite well!

I would love to pick that up.
Gotta wait though
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:59 am

Been a while since I've done anything with my master system. Had to sell off a couple great games for money for the house while I look for a job. I wanted to sell off my collection but no one was buying on ebay so with the help from a few friends from here actually they suggested that I don't do anything but keep it and box it till my life is back on track.

So I'm going to still collect for the us library but it wont be this year I get the set maybe 2018. As far as the games I've sold ill get them back, and in the meantime ill get my room organized again and place the master system up and I'm good to go.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:38 am

I've been getting the urge to play some Master System again lately. I'm thinking Alex Kid or a replay of Phantasy Star, maybe.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:31 am

I never did beat the 1st Phantasy Star.
Might have to resume my play on the GBA collection sometime (have no idea where I left off, but have a walkthrough (official mail in print out I think) for such an occasion, as I doubt I'll have patience for it otherwise.

Alex Kidd pisses me off due to janken. Great way to ruin an otherwise competent platformer. Also, exciting boss battles are usually a highlight of the genre for me.
...just another lost soul...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:59 am

nightrnr wrote:I never did beat the 1st Phantasy Star.
Might have to resume my play on the GBA collection sometime (have no idea where I left off, but have a walkthrough (official mail in print out I think) for such an occasion, as I doubt I'll have patience for it otherwise.

Alex Kidd pisses me off due to janken. Great way to ruin an otherwise competent platformer. Also, exciting boss battles are usually a highlight of the genre for me.

Here's a tip for Alex Kidd:

If you go rock, then scissors on the first boss, you're guaranteed to win as long as you haven't fought him before.

In the level where you fight the second janken boss, you can find an item that lets you read their throughts and changes it into a game of reacting to their changes instead of pure guesswork. It looks like a blue orb with a red star on it. The first boss is the ONLY time you need to play janken legitimately, and as mentioned above, the way it's coded means there's always a correct answer to his opening moves.

Alex Kidd also has about 8 boss fights where you have to fight the enemy legitimately, not just at Janken. They aren't especially great, but it's not ALL rock paper scissors.
Return to Sega