SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The Master System Appreciation Thread

by noiseredux Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:05 am

I love Golden Axe Warrior and can totally see an argument for it being the preferred game.
Mr.White555
64-bit

by Mr.White555 Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:52 pm

I got a little nostalgic for the master system. I sold mine about 5 years ago. I have resorted to emulation, and I am going through some of my favorites and un-played titles I never got the opportunity to own. Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap was probably my favorite game on the system. So I am playing Wonderboy in Monsterland for the first time. It explains a lot, but I don't understand Wonderboy(first game) in the context of all the others. Its very random that the series went full action rpg, from what seemed to be a rainbow island-like game.

Side note: How about Super Metroid/Symphony of the Night taking a page out the playbook from The Dragon's Trap? Not enough stories and movies go full in medias res anymore.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Went to stage three on alex Kidd in shinobi world before I had to shut it off. Anyways I played it and I really enjoy it.

I'm up to 74 games now. 40 left to go. The most difficult will be a cheap price for buster Douglas and power strike and y's. Those are the three games that are over 50.00.
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm

damn, Y's shot up, huh? it's a great port...whereas Buster Douglas isn't a good game, haha. but at least you're not after it CIB, i remember being on Segaage and seeing people spend hundreds chasing that one!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Saw that, and when I had my SMS I couldn't stomach it even when it creeped into the 3 figures as it's such a turd. I wasn't after a full set, but it's not like I ignored trends since it could impact things I did care about.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:48 am

I had a discussion with a friend at work but retro gaming and he mentioned when he was a kid he had a system and he doesn't remember what it was but it had red and black carts and then I showed him my collection of the sega master system. He got so excited that he ended up buying one of off eBay last night so he says. If he actually did get one then I just got another fellow get back into retro gaming and get back into the master system
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Thu May 11, 2017 6:05 am

I am so close to completing the master system library for us. I played some ghouls n ghost the other day and I like the fact that you can choose weapons in the shop.
Even though the library is just cart only for me that's good enough. It's crazy how expensive games that are complete are and it drops so much for cart only especially if it's being shipped from Europe or Brazil.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Thu May 11, 2017 3:35 pm

First system I owned was a NES. First system I played is Atari 2600. I did not own a SMS til much later. Yet oddly enough SMS gives me more nostalgia than either of those. It's easily my favorite 8 bit system. I like the visuals more. Every indie game trying to look 8 bit goes for a NES look and sound. I wish some would emulate SMS look and sound.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu May 11, 2017 3:57 pm

I don't like the SMS sound chip. I'll take the NES any day there. However, the uber-bright visuals of the SMS can certainly be appealing.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu May 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Sarge wrote:I don't like the SMS sound chip. I'll take the NES any day there. However, the uber-bright visuals of the SMS can certainly be appealing.

You break my heart...
Return to Sega