SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: The Master System Appreciation Thread

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:37 pm

I got my Master System on not too long ago to play a hella rare game I got as a Christmas present. Here's my review of the Master System of port of Battletoads in Battlemaniacs if anyone's interested.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 am

I had interest in picking up battletoads elkin but after reading the review I'm not so much interested. Going to stick with the us list still before I import
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:23 pm

That game would cost you as much as a PS4 if you could even find a copy. Definitely not worth it unless you are specifically looking to collect rare games.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:17 pm

I would just go for cart only but yeah not into doing that
heelsinc
32-bit

by heelsinc Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:35 pm

Just started digging into the SMS the past few weeks. No hardware just emulation for me. I don't use save states unless I'm going to stop playing for the night and I only revert to that state to pick things back up. I don't use it as a way to cheat. Heres the games that I beat my main complaint is that most of these seem much easier then NES games. I'd say out of this list the only ones that I didn't like were Alf, Virtua Fighter Animation and Bruce Lee. Give me some suggestions on what to play next. Only looking for SMS exclusives or ports that have enough changes to make it feel like a new game.

Alf
Basketball Nightmare
Captain Silver
Cyborg Hunter
Kung Fu Kid
Danan The Jungle Fighter
Dragon The Bruce Lee Story
Virtua Fighter Animation-----Probably one of the easiest fighting games ever I won just about every round with a ring out.
Asterix
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World---Thought this was lots of fun.
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Taz-Mania
Bomber Raid
Bonkers: Wax Up!
Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck
SpellCaster
Buggy Run
Jurassic Park
Air Rescue------The final level had me so frustrated as I kept dying luckily I had all lives and all my continues. I was having a few beers while playing and my drunk flying skills are not very good.
Master of Darkness----This one was really good I've never played Castlevania but since I have read that this clone is good but of course not better then Castlevania I think I'll finally have to check it out.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:46 pm

^Psycho Fox? Shinobi?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 am

heelsinc wrote:Just started digging into the SMS the past few weeks. No hardware just emulation for me. I don't use save states unless I'm going to stop playing for the night and I only revert to that state to pick things back up. I don't use it as a way to cheat. Heres the games that I beat my main complaint is that most of these seem much easier then NES games. I'd say out of this list the only ones that I didn't like were Alf, Virtua Fighter Animation and Bruce Lee. Give me some suggestions on what to play next. Only looking for SMS exclusives or ports that have enough changes to make it feel like a new game.

Here's a selection of some greats. Not all of these are exclusive, but I generally thing they either feel unique enough or are better than the equivalent versions to make them worth playing.

Alien 3 - Pretty good run and gun exploration game, despite being licensed. Quite challenging too.
Asterix and the Secret Mission - Better than the first Asterix game, but basically more of the same
Aztec Adventure - I love this game. A fairly slow paced arcade adventure with some cool ideas and fantastic music
Bubble Bobble - I think this is better than the NES version, has a few exclusive levels and bosses too.
Castle of Illusion - Completely different game to the Mega Drive one (maybe even better?). It's on Game Gear too, but the bigger screen size helps a bunch.
Fantasy Zone - I like this more than the arcade version - it feels more fluid and has a few cool secrets that aren't in the arcade one too.
Fantasy Zone 2 - This one's exclusive to SMS. The PS2 and 3DS Classics game is different. Slower paced but more involved than the first.
Golden Axe Warrior - This is Sega's attempt at Zelda. I like it more than the original Zelda.
Land of Illusion - The sequel to Castle of Illusion. Plays similarly, but is ultimately fairly unique. Also omn GG, but again, screen size is nicer here - less zoomed out.
The Lucky Dime Caper starring Donald Duck - The game that comes before Deep Duck Trouble, it's less ambitious but probably a bit better and more challenging overall. Also on GG.
The Ninja - hard as nails Ikari Warriors style game.
Penguin Land - Puzzle game with a ton of stages and some very challenging levels.
Phantasy Star - Best RPG for the system, and perhaps of the 8 bit generation in general.
Psycho Fox - Momentum based platformer with some challenging stages.
Quartet - Arcade action game where you try and clear 5 stages and fly around on a jetpack. It's not amazing, but I love the main theme.
Sonic the Hedgehog - It's not the same as the Mega Drive one, and it's better than the Game Gear port due to more on screen. They had to change a lot for GG.
Wonder Boy - It's like Adventure Island, but I like it more.
Wonder Boy in Monster Land - Hard as balls, has more stages than the Arcade version. Fun, but be prepared to put in work to finish it.
Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap - Best game on the system. It's also on Turbografx, but I prefer this version. It's a matter of opinion overall though, both are great.

I've not played them, but I hear good stuff about these too:
Outrun
Golvellius
Power Strike 2
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 am

MAN I LOVE THE MASTER SYSTEM!!!!!!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:36 am

Some of those games I still have access to in a funky way. The ATGames (non garbage amazingly) Arcade Gamer Portable which has a selection of GG and SMS games on it (30.)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... r_portable

If you don't care to read or see pics, this is the game list:

Alex Kidd in High Tech World
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
Assault City
Astro Warrior
Aztec Adventure
Baku Baku Animal
Bomber Raid
Columns
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
Dragon Crystal
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone II
Gain Ground
Global Defense
Golden Axe
Kung Fu Kid
Penguin Land
Putt And Putter
Quartet
Ristar the Shooting Star
Snail Maze
Sonic Drift 2
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Spinball
Sonic Triple Trouble
Super Columns
Tails Adventure
The Ninja
heelsinc
32-bit

by heelsinc Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Shinobi is done. Lots of fun one complaint is that the second to last board in the forest is WAY harder then any other board in the game. I get brining up the difficulty level at the end but the ninjas that just flip through the air hit you and then flip away are a freakin bitch to avoid. After a few tries though I was able to beat the game with out dying. Pissed me off that all we get at the end is a "Game Over" screen.
Return to Sega