The Master System Appreciation Thread

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mr.White555
64-bit

The Master System Appreciation Thread

Post by Mr.White555 »

The lack of a continual discussion on the master system has prompted me to create this thread. So if you have anything to say about the system go ahead. :D

As a Nintendo kid whose first console was the SNES, the Master System is so very odd. A sensation which I can only describe as foreign. The controller is an awkward square with no start button and a d-pad that is unconventional; a far cry from my SNES roots which would dominate future controller schemes. The console has a flow chart sticker-ed on that demonstrates the order in which to work it. The AV out plug looks like a midi cable plug. The color palette is full of highlighter greens, yellows, blues, and reds. The sound chip is a shrill contrast to the splendid visuals.The games themselves, whose box arts' share common templates, have a uniformity in their presentation.

Everything about this system is weird to me, but regardless, I really like this system. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap has become one of may favorite games and Phantasy Star; a game which I should hate considering my loathing of all things JRPG, has gotten me addicted.

So what are some of y'all's experiences with the Master System?
Last edited by Mr.White555 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flake

Re: The Master Sytem Appreciation Thread

Post by Flake »

I've only experienced the SMS in emulated glory but I can say this:

Sonic the Hedgehog SMS > Sonic the Hedgehog GEN
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I had SMS, Genesis, SCD and Game Gear growing up and although my SMS got the least play back then, I actually sort of think back on it as my favorite of all those Sega systems now. Especially after discovering things later, like Phantasy Star which you mentioned which is possibly the greatest 8bit RPG of all time.

oh and Flake's right, SMS Sonic is better than Geneis Sonic.
invincibleservant
8-bit

Post by invincibleservant »

I agree totally that the Master System receives too little discussion. I recently picked up Phantasy Star CIB for a song, and LOVE playing it. It was so far ahead of its time. Also, the 3d glasses, while at times headache-inducing, are a ton of fun to break out with Space Harrier 3D. After thinking about it, the SMS might be my favorite 8-bit system that I own, even more beloved than my FDS. SEGA!!!
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Flake wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog SMS > Sonic the Hedgehog GEN

:shock:

Really? I used to own both back when they were new (Sonic 1 on Game Gear, which is the same as the SMS version) and I can't believe people like it more. I mean, it's fun... but better than the 16-bit version? Really? I guess they are two completely different games, but still. I'm surprised.

I do really like the soundtrack on the SMS/GG version, though.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

The Master System is awesome. Culturally, I think it probably stands at the same level to Brazilians as the NES does to Americans.

All of my friends are still fond of afternoons playing Jogos de Verão (our version of California Games). Yeah... I really should keep a SMS hooked up for gaming nights.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Breetai wrote:I used to own both back when they were new (Sonic 1 on Game Gear, which is the same as the SMS version) and I can't believe people like it more. I mean, it's fun... but better than the 16-bit version?

The game gear had a cropped screen, making it so you could barely see what was coming next. Try the actual SMS Sonic (emulate or Wii VC) and it's an incredible 8 bit platformer.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
alexis524
128-bit

Post by alexis524 »

Oh man this is right up my alley. The master system was my first gaming console. A friend of mine that was a few years older turned me and my dad onto SMS. He had all the games, and soon, we got one. I remember playing hang-on for what seemed like years. i think i could play it blind folded, and then safari hunt never got old. I remember drooling over copies upon copies of Aztec Adventure and Kenseiden in Service Merchandise. Soon, my mom bought me aztec adventure, and remember not knowing how to progress in the first level. For anyone who remembers this game, the part where you use your first fireball to burn down the bushes to progress. I used to get hooked on the music to the marsh level. Then came Alex Kidd in Miracle World, played the mess out of it, and managed to get all the way to the end with the final Jenken match. My mom then bought me Alex Kidd in Hi Tek World, beat that, then i still remember the day when i went to the mall on a cold damp rainy December day to buy Wonder Boy III Dragons Trap. Boy did i love that game, and still do. I remember slaying Zillion, Zillion 2, Kenseiden, OutRun, Thunder Blade, i can go on and on. I absolutely love the Master System :D
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Flake wrote:
Breetai wrote:I used to own both back when they were new (Sonic 1 on Game Gear, which is the same as the SMS version) and I can't believe people like it more. I mean, it's fun... but better than the 16-bit version?

The game gear had a cropped screen, making it so you could barely see what was coming next. Try the actual SMS Sonic (emulate or Wii VC) and it's an incredible 8 bit platformer.

I have it on my Wii VC, modded X-Box and PC (in addition to Game Gear), so I know how the SMS version plays. I still much prefer the original Sonic on the Genesis, though. I DO really like the SMS version, just not as much as the original.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

YEAH SMS