The Master System Appreciation Thread

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SuperAnthony64
64-bit

Re: The Master Sytem Appreciation Thread

Post by SuperAnthony64 »

Ninja Gaiden, Alex Kidd, and Psycho Fox are the games I like for the Master System. Cool console
3DS Friend Code: 4983 5187 8956
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Anybody ever play Penguin Land? It was always a stand out game to me. It's a puzzle/platformer where you carefully guide an egg down some giant column thing. Has a level editor too.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

My fave is that Castlevania-esque game- 'Master of Darkness'.
Best game that I've played on the Master System thus far.
Quality action platformer.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

I've really been enjoying my SMS lately. Still need to pick up some more high quality titles for it though. It's always fun to have friends try on the 3D glasses and try out some of the 3D games. They almost always have positive things to say about all the games, especially Space Harrier 3D and Zaxxon 3D. (Although IMO Maze Hunter 3D puts the other 3D titles to shame with it's mesmerizing 3D affect and fun gameplay) I've been playing Phantasy Star since my lady friend gave it to me as a random "hey I found this game cheap the other day and thought you might like it" game and it's pretty clear to me why so many have called it the best 8-bit RPG. Also been playing Wonder Boy II a bit, but I've been on the lookout for copies of Master of Darkness, Wonder Boy III, and Golden Axe Warrior as of late.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

AppleQueso wrote:Anybody ever play Penguin Land? It was always a stand out game to me. It's a puzzle/platformer where you carefully guide an egg down some giant column thing. Has a level editor too.

Yeah, I've played Penguin Land and I really enjoyed it. I don't have a copy but I remember it being fun enough that I would snatch one up if I saw it for cheap. I have a feeling this thread is going to end up causing my SMS collection to expand a bit next time I go out hunting.
Original_Name
Next-Gen

Post by Original_Name »

Man, I REALLY wanna get my hands on a pair of those 3D glasses for my Master System. Yeah, I adore the Master System... it stands at such an odd place in Sega's history when they had mastered arcade gameplay, but were still learning how to handle themselves as a first-party console developer. There's this weird "Oh, Nintendo has a game like that? Well, we'll do that game, but better." Alex Kidd in Miracle World follows the same mold as Super Mario Bros., but the gameplay is far more varied and the world feels just ever-so-slightly more alive. Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap took Zelda II and Castlevania II's awkwardly-executed formulas and created a veritable 8-bit masterpiece. Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy are precursor to Phantasy Star, but damned if Phantasy Star doesn't blow them out of the water in every single category. And even though I'd argue that Metroid is objectively the better game, Zillion took the same formula and turned it into an action-oriented game which is highly enjoyable on its own merits. Then you have those gems that you can only get on the Master System, like Fantasy Zone (uh... well, Fantasy Zone II) and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, which make the system a completely worthy and highly-enjoyable purchase.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Original_Name wrote:Man, I REALLY wanna get my hands on a pair of those 3D glasses for my Master System.

Haven't tried them myself, but from what I've read these should work just as well.

"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

Thierry Henry wrote:
Original_Name wrote:Man, I REALLY wanna get my hands on a pair of those 3D glasses for my Master System.

Haven't tried them myself, but from what I've read these should work just as well.

But isn't the only 3D game worth playing Space Harrier?
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Thierry Henry wrote:

"Haven't tried them myself, but from what I've read these should work just as well." - Thierry Henry

Not sure on this as I've never actually seen these, but the official glasses plug into a converter which slides into the SMS card slot. I'm pretty sure those glasses end in the same jack, but you still need the converter to plug them into for use on the Master System.
Last edited by Czernobog on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

pakopako wrote:
Thierry Henry wrote:
But isn't the only 3D game worth playing Space Harrier?

NO. NO. NO. Maze Hunter 3D. Do not underestimate it. :mrgreen: