The Master System Appreciation Thread

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mas
Next-Gen

Re: The Master System Appreciation Thread

Post by mas »

IrishNinja wrote:
mas wrote:Playing golden axe warrior today. Have no freaking clue to what I'm doing or going. Got the blue axe but that's it and a extra heart. Need to go online for a map or guide. Awesome game though. Worth the ten dollars I paid for

awesome deal for an awesome game - did you play the original legend of zelda? its obviously a lot like that, but yeah, gamefaqs has a world map with item/dungeon locations that will make it a lot more interesting!

Funny love Zelda 8 bit and 16 bit but hate traditional rpgs.
I'm going to play a little more today when I get home from work
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Finally got golden axe warrior and had the battery replaced. It's heavier with the new battery but it does save and now I can finally play this game. The music on it isn't as memorable as Zelda but it's got a great beat to it.
Got the next two days off and just playing sega all day.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

mas wrote:Finally got golden axe warrior and had the battery replaced. It's heavier with the new battery but it does save and now I can finally play this game. The music on it isn't as memorable as Zelda but it's got a great beat to it.
Got the next two days off and just playing sega all day.

Nice. I personally ended up liking Golden Axe Warrior more than the original Zelda, despite how blasphemous it might be to say that.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

alienjesus wrote:Nice. I personally ended up liking Golden Axe Warrior more than the original Zelda, despite how blasphemous it might be to say that.

for years, yeah - but in recent times ive heard it more & more, prolly around the time i started hearing more people saying OG zelda aged poorly (which i very much disagree with personally).

Warrior just takes the formula & does more with it, the overworld's huge & has so much variety as you go..and the dungeons & bosses are great. its kinda like how i feel about Master of Darkness...yeah, we all know what it's blatantly ripping, but if you're gonna do that & do something interesting with it, i'm not gonna mind.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I love Golden Axe Warrior and can totally see an argument for it being the preferred game.
Mr.White555
64-bit

Post by Mr.White555 »

I got a little nostalgic for the master system. I sold mine about 5 years ago. I have resorted to emulation, and I am going through some of my favorites and un-played titles I never got the opportunity to own. Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap was probably my favorite game on the system. So I am playing Wonderboy in Monsterland for the first time. It explains a lot, but I don't understand Wonderboy(first game) in the context of all the others. Its very random that the series went full action rpg, from what seemed to be a rainbow island-like game.

Side note: How about Super Metroid/Symphony of the Night taking a page out the playbook from The Dragon's Trap? Not enough stories and movies go full in medias res anymore.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Went to stage three on alex Kidd in shinobi world before I had to shut it off. Anyways I played it and I really enjoy it.

I'm up to 74 games now. 40 left to go. The most difficult will be a cheap price for buster Douglas and power strike and y's. Those are the three games that are over 50.00.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

damn, Y's shot up, huh? it's a great port...whereas Buster Douglas isn't a good game, haha. but at least you're not after it CIB, i remember being on Segaage and seeing people spend hundreds chasing that one!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Saw that, and when I had my SMS I couldn't stomach it even when it creeped into the 3 figures as it's such a turd. I wasn't after a full set, but it's not like I ignored trends since it could impact things I did care about.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I had a discussion with a friend at work but retro gaming and he mentioned when he was a kid he had a system and he doesn't remember what it was but it had red and black carts and then I showed him my collection of the sega master system. He got so excited that he ended up buying one of off eBay last night so he says. If he actually did get one then I just got another fellow get back into retro gaming and get back into the master system