The Master System Appreciation Thread

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mr.White555
64-bit

Re: The Master Sytem Appreciation Thread

Post by Mr.White555 »

Limewater wrote:
Flake wrote:Wow, for how little stage time the Master System gets around here, everyone seems to have some (mostly) fond memories of it.

I wonder if a 32X appreciation thread would fare so well...

People are only writing the positive stuff because the thread has "appreciation" in the title. As for me, my dog was killed when someone tossed their master system out a window without looking.

I only used appreciation in the title cause "The General Master System Thread" would be a little bit obnoxious. The system definitely have its flaws. I for one dislike its sound chip. Point out its flaws all by all means. It's not my favorite console but I like to see it discussed which there has been a dry spell lately.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Thierry Henry wrote:Speaking of power base converters and such,

here's a bunch of Master System Converters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBFKVUkf4YY

That's quite a lot of convertors. Also a nicely modded Gen 3.

lisalover1 wrote:I have mentioned this before, but none of the 5 Master Systems that I have owned have worked.

I think you've just had bad luck or maybe they're especially susceptible to static you get up there in the winter?
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Speaking of the sound,
didn't the Jap Master System have FM synthesis sound, or something to that effect?
I recall watching a vid from MN12BIRD on youtube, and for the Master System games that supported it, they sounded great!
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Thierry Henry wrote:Speaking of the sound,
didn't the Jap Master System have FM synthesis sound, or something to that effect?
I recall watching a vid from MN12BIRD on youtube, and for the Master System games that supported it, they sounded great!

Yeah, the Mark III had it as a peripheral. Never heard it in action but I imagine it would sound a hell of a lot better than the sound I get out of my SMS. Here's a photo of one hooked into the system as a bubble toy that I saw on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29232239@N04/2730937607#/
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Czernobog wrote:

Yeah, the Mark III had it as a peripheral. Never heard it in action but I imagine it would sound a hell of a lot better than the sound I get out of my SMS. Here's a photo of one hooked into the system as a bubble toy that I saw on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29232239@N04/2730937607#/

I have Wonder Boy in Monster Land on Virtual console, and it has the option to switch to FM sound. I actually prefer the original, but thats likely because the master system sound chip has a certain retro charm to me.

I do wonder which VC games have the option to support it. I didn't think it would be included in any tbh.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

alienjesus wrote:
I have Wonder Boy in Monster Land on Virtual console, and it has the option to switch to FM sound. I actually prefer the original, but thats likely because the master system sound chip has a certain retro charm to me.

I do wonder which VC games have the option to support it. I didn't think it would be included in any tbh.

I'm running with a fidgety RF on my SMS until I get around to getting a composite for it so my sound quality is suffering currently.

I'm surprised the VC games have that option as well. I think that's pretty awesome that you can switch to the FM sound if you want.

Also, Wonder Boy in Monster Land is great. It's my most played SMS game right now next to Phantasy Star. I know just about every place to jump and get coins now but I still haven't managed to beat the boss because I have trouble with one jumping part in the last stage so my time goes down and I lose most of my life before I get to him. :cry:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Czernobog wrote:
alienjesus wrote:

I'm running with a fidgety RF on my SMS until I get around to getting a composite for it so my sound quality is suffering currently.

I'm surprised the VC games have that option as well. I think that's pretty awesome that you can switch to the FM sound if you want.

Also, Wonder Boy in Monster Land is great. It's my most played SMS game right now next to Phantasy Star. I know just about every place to jump and get coins now but I still haven't managed to beat the boss because I have trouble with one jumping part in the last stage so my time goes down and I lose most of my life before I get to him. :cry:

I'm willing to bet you mean the bit with the blocks that rise after you jump off them and you have to go up 4 screens of it or so. Thats where I die at too.

Have you ever tried Wonder Boy 3? IMO, it's the best wonder boy game, and the best master system game in general. One of my favourite 8 bit games ever.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

alienjesus wrote:
I'm willing to bet you mean the bit with the blocks that rise after you jump off them and you have to go up 4 screens of it or so. Thats where I die at too.

Have you ever tried Wonder Boy 3? IMO, it's the best wonder boy game, and the best master system game in general. One of my favourite 8 bit games ever.

Good bet. That is the EXACT part I mean. The worst is that when you fall to the next screen you get sent way back in the stage. As for Wonder Boy 3, I haven't tried it yet but I've been keeping my eyes out for it because it's one of the SMS games I really want to get my hands on.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

Czernobog wrote:

Yeah, the Mark III had it as a peripheral. Never heard it in action but I imagine it would sound a hell of a lot better than the sound I get out of my SMS.

There's also a version of the SMS released in Japan that has the FM chip built in, along with a built-in 3D glasses jack and rapid fire.

I've got one of these and it's probably the best variant of the SMS in existence. You can also get a converter for it from ToToTEK that will allow you to play American and European carts on it. It's also backwards compatible with SG-1000 games like the Mark III.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
FiftyDollarCurse
128-bit

Post by FiftyDollarCurse »

lisalover1 wrote:I have mentioned this before, but none of the 5 Master Systems that I have owned have worked. Oddly wnough, I have quite a sizeable collection of games for the system. I do want to find a working one eventually; it is a fun system when it does work. the color pallate is bright, the graphics are sharp, and the games are quirky and enjoyable. I would take the SMS over the NES any day.

I have an extra one that works good if you're interested in trading or something.