Naomi

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Beak
64-bit

Naomi

Post by Beak »

If you'd be willing to oblige my ignorance, I'd be really grateful.

Are these just straight out of arcades when people have them at home?

I see stuff on eBay and I don't understand how they're used fully. Are they plugged into TV/monitors by standard means (video, audio, etc)?

I've also run into Naomi emulators. What's the purpose of these? It seems like many of the games you're emulating on Naomi are already easily emulated on Dreamcast. Can you then emulate games that were not released on Dreamcast and only on Naomi? If that's the case, where would you get these ROMs? It doesn't seem like they're too popular or easily accessible.

Anyway, I can't really find too much on this kind of stuff elsewhere. I was hoping you guys would know more than me. Thanks again!

Note: There was another short thread on the Naomi emulator, but not too much information on it. Thread must've lost steam and I don't wanna revive it.
Last edited by Beak on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thelolotov
32-bit

Re: Naomi

Post by thelolotov »

Beak wrote:If you'd be willing to oblige my ignorance, I'd be really grateful.

Are these just straight out of arcades when people have them at home?

Image isn't showing up, no hotlinking allowed, perhaps?

And no, I don't really have anything else to add to this thread, but I am curious about this as well.

I lied, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_arcade_system_boards#Sega_NAOMI

I imagine they're ripped from privately owned arcade units.

As for the purpose of Naomi emulators, some people just like more direct emulation, and if you didn't have a Dreamcast, well, you'd need an emu, wouldn't you?

As for how they are used, I see standard RCA jacks on one of these, so I imagine that's how, these are basically just Dreamcasts, after all.

EDIT: Dreamcasts with double the RAM and some other minor changes.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

To emulate it will have to be one powerful PC or Mac to run at a decent frame rate.
There are a few Naomi games that got canceled on the Dreamcast, a real shame.

Here is a great Naomi site with great pics!
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=721
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Naomi emulation is great! However it's still in early stages and many games are yet unsupported due to funky controls or encryption or both.

http://guru.mameworld.info/naomi/index.html Here you're going to find what's been dumped so far, along with decryption keys. Decrypted roms can be found on underground gamer or the web, and Demul and Makaron support MAME roms too. Compatibility lists are scattered and out-of-date, so you'll have to test for best results yourself. In terms of speed I feel Makaron is the fastest, with nullDC (opensourced) coming in last thanks to its myriad of config options that can hamper performance. I recommend x360ce for input because it saves you the hassle of configuring axes and buttons.

Has anyone tried VF4 on a multi-core CPU?
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Majors
128-bit

Post by Majors »

thelolotov wrote:As for how they are used, I see standard RCA jacks on one of these, so I imagine that's how, these are basically just Dreamcasts, after all.

The RCA is for audio only. If you had a supergun, you can run a Naomi on a TV, it does have VGA out, so a computer monitor or flat panel will work. Best is to use a nice, big ole VGA CRT like the arcade. Naomi cab's are not that hard to come by (thanks to V. Tennis!).

Naomi can get unwieldy when you add the GD-ROM, JAMMA I/O and power supply(GD drive takes extra power not on JAMMA harness). System16 has pic's and good info about all that.

Bonus tidbit: Atomiswave is the Naomi/Dreamcast "late" brother. Hardware is all very close. Too bad DC was dead when AW came out or we might have had some ports :(
Majors -=- Wedoca '22
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

So let's say someone wanted to get a Naomi up and running. What kind of hardware would you need? It seems like most sellers on the internet are only selling the motherboard. If I got a motherboard, I'd then have to get a lot of other pieces as well?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

you'd need a supergun, most likely. It's a device (often homemade) that connects an arcade PCB to a Television.