SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
uabtodd

dreamcast noobie has some questions

by uabtodd Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:47 pm

I just picked up a dreamcast at a local used games store for $39 and brought it home and tested it. Seems to work so far. This is my first experience with a dreamcast, so I am a total noobie, thought I would come to you guys for a little advice. The system I bought came with an rf adapter, and since I despise the little things, I am going to buy a new av cable. I know that everyone suggests the vga cable for it, but the only ones I can seem to find will cost me more than the system itself cost, so I am a bit wary to get one of those. I was wondering, which is better, the standard composite red, white, yellow adapter, or the s-video adapter with the red/white audio and the s-video plug. Is there a big difference between the two? I went straight from a really old tv that had nothing but the single coax rf input thing to a lcd hdtv with composite, component, vga, and hdmi inputs, and have only really used the hdmi input with my set top box, so never really knew the difference between s-video and the red,white, yellow input.

Anyway, aside from my total lack of knowledge of all thins AV club related, I have burnt a copy of the nes emulator for the dreamcast and tested to make sure it reads cd-r's and it did with no problems whatsoever, so thats cool. The only other question I have is this, is there something I am missing on the controller that I have to press in or squeeze a certain way or something to get a vmu out of the controller? The controller that came with it is a mad catz, the one with 6 buttons on the front instead of the standard 4, and the guy threw in a vmu and he popped it into the controller at the store, and I can not get it out no matter how hard I pull. The vmu powers on and everything, though it is full i think, I have to figure out how to erase it, but I cant get the thing out of the controller, whats the secret, or did the guy just screw it up when he put it in there?

/thanks for all your insight and help and everything and thanks for getting me interested in the magical world of dreamcast!
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:03 pm

get the damn vga cable. you'll kick yourself if you get an s-video cable then see the vga one.

with regard to erasing the vmu, if you haven't figured it out by the time i post this, you do that through the dc bios (at least i think that's what it's called...). just start your dc up without a disc in it and you'll know what i mean.

and about getting the vmu out, i haven't ever used a third party dc controller so i am going to be of no help, but i would guess that that could be your problem. maybe the guy at the store jammed it in there too hard or something. check for a release or a lock or something on the controller itself, there are no such mechanisms on the official dc vmu's or first party controllers.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:17 am

The only thing about the VGA cables is that they are very expensive and hard to find at the moment (mainly just eBay).
If I'm able to get more in stock, they should be more affordable.

And in case you like to learn more of the Dreamcast basics, check out this page:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/02/ ... guide.html
Return to Sega