Is my Sega Saturn dying? Or is it something else?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Hamburglar
8-bit

Post by Hamburglar »

ImportBoy wrote:What game is it? You might want to try grabbing a couple from my site to try (www.sega-saturn.us). If you've tried both burners I think your next option would be to tweak the laser.

Is your Saturn playing original games fine?

Yeah it plays originals fine. It even plays some CD-R's fine. Just particular one's it won't! Strange.

This is one game I could not get to work no matter how many times I burned it:

http://www.itwaslikethatwhenigotherepro ... saturn.zip

Please do not share outside here because it will kill my bandwidth. If someone could report back to me if it works on their Saturn or not it would greatly, greatly help me.

I'd be willing to tweak the Saturn's laser but I heard my system will die faster :(
ImportBoy
64-bit

Post by ImportBoy »

I downloaded the image - I cannot get it to run on my Saturn or via the Saturn Emulator SSF. Appears to be currupt. Also tweaked various BIOS and region settings in SSF as well, no dice.
-ImportBoy
Over 700 Saturn Games Available - Downloads, Information, & How To Guides
http://www.sega-saturn.us - kaneda@sega-saturn.us
Hamburglar
8-bit

Post by Hamburglar »

ImportBoy wrote:I downloaded the image - I cannot get it to run on my Saturn or via the Saturn Emulator SSF. Appears to be currupt. Also tweaked various BIOS and region settings in SSF as well, no dice.

Thanks! If others could report back as well, I'd appreciate it.

A bad/corrupt rip would explain the fact that the game doesn't work, but how does it explain games that only boot periodically?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Hamburglar wrote:
ImportBoy wrote:I downloaded the image - I cannot get it to run on my Saturn or via the Saturn Emulator SSF. Appears to be currupt. Also tweaked various BIOS and region settings in SSF as well, no dice.

A bad/corrupt rip would explain the fact that the game doesn't work, but how does it explain games that only boot periodically?

It doesn't. Like I said, if it works periodically, it probably has to do with the disc or the burn.
Hamburglar
8-bit

Post by Hamburglar »

racketboy wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:

It doesn't. Like I said, if it works periodically, it probably has to do with the disc or the burn.

Is there a recommended way to burn? I tried a dozen programs, same results with all. What program is recommended? I never figured the Saturn would be finnicky with burns.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Hamburglar wrote:
racketboy wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:

Is there a recommended way to burn? I tried a dozen programs, same results with all. What program is recommended? I never figured the Saturn would be finnicky with burns.

I burn with Nero 8X
But if you are a using a cheap brand of CD-Rs, that would have more impact on it.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

Have you tried your burns in your friend's Saturn of your friend's burns in yours?

Have you tried the media your friend is using?

Have you tried your media in your friend's burner?
Hamburglar
8-bit

Post by Hamburglar »

racketboy wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:
racketboy wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:

I burn with Nero 8X
But if you are a using a cheap brand of CD-Rs, that would have more impact on it.

I tried Phillips (decent brand) and Verbatim (excellent brand). Same thing as each other. Nero doesn't work with any of my cue's for some reason.

Pullmyfinger wrote:Have you tried your burns in your friend's Saturn of your friend's burns in yours?

Have you tried the media your friend is using?

Have you tried your media in your friend's burner?

Unfortunately he lives no where near me any more. I am going to upload a game that works sporatically and maybe you guys could tell me how that works for ya?
Hamburglar
8-bit

Post by Hamburglar »

Here is a game that boots maybe half the times I try.

Before reporting back, if you could restart your system like 10 times before deeming it works perfectly, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.itwaslikethatwhenigotherepro ... sworks.zip
Hamburglar
8-bit

Post by Hamburglar »

I ended up getting these cue's to work with Nero (for some reason in Nero I have to edit the cue to exactly tell it where the BIN is stored, no other programs required that) and it didn't help at all.

Please help anyone who can