SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Hamburglar
8-bit

by Hamburglar Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:55 am

ImportBoy wrote:
What does PITA mean?

PITA = Pain in the Ass

Oh haha that's a new antonymn for me. I didn't think it was a huge pain? I thought it just entailed turning a knob inside the unit.

I just can't believe CD-R's I burned a week ago, and tested, don't work any more, but TDK's work perfect.
marurun

by marurun Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:49 pm

Well, it's simply, maybe, to find and turn the screw, but how do you know if you've turned it the right amount? There's a lot of back and forth testing. That's what makes it a PITA.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ImportBoy
64-bit

by ImportBoy Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:33 pm

I'd say 95% it is your laser. You might to look into getting another Saturn on e-bay or from someone here. Prices will only go up in the future I think.

You might also consider selling your current one for parts; someone might buy it.
-ImportBoy
Over 700 Saturn Games Available - Downloads, Information, & How To Guides
http://www.sega-saturn.us - kaneda@sega-saturn.us
Hamburglar
8-bit

by Hamburglar Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:02 am

ImportBoy wrote:I'd say 95% it is your laser. You might to look into getting another Saturn on e-bay or from someone here. Prices will only go up in the future I think.

You might also consider selling your current one for parts; someone might buy it.

Well it reads legit games 100% and TDK CD-R's 99% so could it really be a dying laser?
marurun

by marurun Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:21 pm

Most CDRs require a stronger laser, which means if a laser starts to go out of alignment it will be the cheaper/crappier CDRs which stop working first. Chances are it will take a while to go further out of adjustment, but that does mean that those TDKs will probably start getting less reliable as time goes on. The commercial, pressed games will be the last to go. You might just want to get a second saturn and move over the mod chip. Keep your old one for commercial titles.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Hamburglar
8-bit

by Hamburglar Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:43 pm

I appreciate everyone's help on the matter. I replaced the laser, let me explain my extremely frustrating Friday night.

I got my replacement Saturn in the mail, and it had round buttons on it just like my old one, ensuring me it was the correct pins necessary to work with the mod chip. I opened it up, and it had 5 prongs where you have to solder the chip to rather than the four I was used to. No big deal, I just soldered it to the one before the last like the instructions say. I also noticed the chip was near impossible to put in, unlike my dying Saturn which it went right in. So I filed it down a bit and got it to go in.

It would not work for anything. In this newer Saturn, if I had the mod chip in I wouldn't get audio and no games, even legit, would boot.

I tried to figure out anything else that could be different, and noticed the PCB's of the two lasers were different. So I did the insanely tedious task of swapping PCB with laser mechanisms (since the laser mechanisms were identical). I even had to use a desoldering iron to suck solder off of one of the silver cylinders that were on the PCB. I swapped the old Saturn's laser PCB with the new one's laser, popped it into my old Saturn, and everything works great now.

Wondering why this chip didn't work with a Saturn with round buttons, but accomplished getting a working laser in my modded Saturn.
marurun

by marurun Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:07 pm

Your soldering chops are much more practiced and skilled than mine, clearly. But I am glad that the laser replacement went well and that I did not aid in sending you down a fruitless road. Yay for educated guessing!
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Hamburglar
8-bit

by Hamburglar Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:07 pm

marurun wrote:Your soldering chops are much more practiced and skilled than mine, clearly. But I am glad that the laser replacement went well and that I did not aid in sending you down a fruitless road. Yay for educated guessing!

Thanks, it was a huge pain in the ass and I am surprised it worked, because even when I tried just swapping the entire laser w/PCB into my old saturn, it didn't work. I have no idea why this newer Saturn wouldn't work with a modchip though. It had round buttons.
marurun

by marurun Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:47 pm

Some of the round button Saturns were a little different on the inside. Not many, but a few. You just nabbed one of those unlucky ones.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Hamburglar
8-bit

by Hamburglar Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:23 am

marurun wrote:Some of the round button Saturns were a little different on the inside. Not many, but a few. You just nabbed one of those unlucky ones.

Never knew that. I wish all the guides out there said that :)
Return to Sega