Saturn region questions using swap method

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
replicashooter

Saturn region questions using swap method

Post by replicashooter »

Just about to pick up a Saturn and have a quick question - I'm going to do the region/Hz switch mod just so I can play a backup of Radiant Silvergun without getting my pockets raped.

It's a PAL model 1 (oval buttons) so my question is will this work in regards to the region locking? ie. Can I boot using a PAL disc and then swap to a JAP backup or must I get a chip?

Thanks
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I have never actually tried this. But the security code and region check happen about the same time. So your just gonna want to leave it in PAL for the entire time

The system won't ever check to see what region the Radiant Silvergun is, so it won't matter. If you have a TV that supports 60hz though, use it, the game will seem much slower with out it. (you can leave it PAL and 60hz as the are controlled seperately... and PAL games will play on a 60hz console, just faster)
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
replicashooter

Post by replicashooter »

Great, so I only need to hook up the 50/60Hz switch then 8) Does the Saturn chip not bypass region locking?

Also, if I booted from a region free disc (cover/demo disc?) would that eradicate the issue?
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

The chip does not bybass region security.

I am not sure what a demo disc will do region wise... if it is region free I will assume it will stay in region free mode. I know I've booted PAL Panzer Dragoon via a demo disc before... both legite and bootleg
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
replicashooter

Post by replicashooter »

OK - Thanks for the help.