SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Abras
24-bit

How much does a Sega CD cost and is it worth it?

by Abras Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 am

I'd, of course, like a reasonable price. I have no interest in collecting, but am interested in a cheap(er) alternative to Genesis games. I could emulate them on my computer, but I'm not a big fan of that. It's just not very fun. So...are there enough good games to warrant a purchase?
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

by Pullmyfinger Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Depends on the type of games you like, there's snatcher, final fight, sonic cd, eternal champions, batman returns, the adventures of the batmobile and of course c+c music factory, you can get them for 30~45 depending on condition and model.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:07 pm

for the 30 or 40 bucks you'll invest the system as an amazing thing to own.

There are two let backs.

1) SegaCDs are usually sold on ebay and other auction style places as combos with another genesis increasing its price rendering you spending money on a genesis you already own.

2) A lot of legite games that are really good sell for a high price. Snatcher is expensive. Lunar 1+2 are cheapr then release date, but still expensive for such an old game. You'll sometimes spend more on a game then you do on the console.

I am lucky enough to still own my release day Sega CD from over a decade ago. With good maintenance you can get many years of play out of your Sega CD. If it was the early 90s again I would still go out and buy one.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
marurun

by marurun Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:23 pm

The question then becomes, do Sega CD games use copy protection or were they like PC Engine CDs, free of protection?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:25 pm

No copy protection what so ever.

Just copy and play!!!
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Abras
24-bit

by Abras Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:25 pm

It sounds like I'll be getting one then. After all, $25-$40 is less than one new game!! But I did notice the bundling thing, what's with that? And as for the expensive games, I'll probably just burn backups. I'm the kinda guy who doesn't like to spend more than $10 on a game :) Heck, I was hesitant about spending $15 on Soul Calibur even though it's one of my favorite games.
Cerulean
64-bit

by Cerulean Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:46 pm

Man 30-40? I got mine for 15 from a flea market. TOTALLY WORTH IT FOR SONIC ALONE.
Return to Sega