SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Aedes

Wireless Dreamcast Solution

by Aedes Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:42 am

I am hell bent on using wireless controllers for my Dreamcast (DC).

The best route seems to go with a Playstation-DC converter then buying a wireless PS controller and voila.

Unfortunately, I tried using the "Innovation Dream Connection II" with Logitech's PS2 wireless controller and this didn't work.

Can anyone who has wireless DC system ACTUALLY UP AND RUNNING suggest: 1) a converter 2) a wireless controller or 3) alternate route for wireless DC.

The more info the better. Websites and suppliers would be a real big help.

This might be a good article for Racketboy, especially under the "How to get the most out of your Dreamcast section".
Aedes

by Aedes Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:28 pm

After reading some of the older Tech forums, I noticed that Racketboy posted a very similar question.

I double checked and found my "Innovation Dream Connection II" is listed for use with PSX, PC Keyboards, and Saturn controllers on the DC. The Logitech wireless I'd used was for PS2. Probably the issue there.

I'm going to see about purchasing a PSX wireless and try it out. I'll post results. I'd happily volunteer photos if anybody is interested.

Cheers,

Aedes
sotu
16-bit

by sotu Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:48 pm

I'd be interested in your findings. I've just ordered a total control 2 for my DC so I can use a PSX controller with a decent analog control. Really looking forward to seeing how the games feel with a PSX controller.

Wireless would be really cool. Hope you figure out a good solution and post your findings.
Image Eat dat melon biotch!
Systems Owned: Xbox, Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, PS2, Genesis
Systems Emulated: Xmugen, PSX, GameBoy Color, GBA, Genesis, NEO GEO, Turbo Graphics16, MameOX Arcade, N64, Killer Instinct, Super Nintendo, NES, Gamegear, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari, DOS
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

by Pullmyfinger Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:15 am

I'd also be interested in this, but did Sony ever release wireless controllers for the ps2 or ps1? All I've seen are third party controllers
metaleggman
128-bit

by metaleggman Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:01 am

I would think the wireless controllers for PSX would be infared. Yuckums. :?
nightwalker
64-bit

by nightwalker Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:12 pm

I just recently started getting some interest in wireless controllers for all my consoles. Since I just got so hooked up to wireless from playing my 360 and Wii and using the wavebird also (got racket's advice :wink: )
I was looking for saturn and dreamcast wireless solution and found in an article that racket made and a guy said about a third company that made wireless controllers for dreamcast named "docs". So what I did is started searching the net and found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-2-DOCS-Sega-Dre ... dZViewItem
This are the ugliest controllers I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!. This company docs also made wireless controllers for the n64 and sega genesis not quite sure on the genesis part I cant seem to find info on this company.

Anyways if ur solution of the adapter and ps1 logitech works please let us know. Cuz that controller is the other option and believe me that thing is uuuuugggglllyyyyy. Even in the description the sellers says you got to be in front of it for it to work.
"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty"
Amarant Coral
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:23 pm

Pullmyfinger wrote:I'd also be interested in this, but did Sony ever release wireless controllers for the ps2 or ps1? All I've seen are third party controllers

The Logitech ones for the PS2 are supposed to be good.
Aedes

by Aedes Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Minor update:

I purchased a Pelican 'S-type Predator' 2.4GHz wireless controller (nice metallic finish btw) from Target and it did not work with my adaptor.

I'd purchased 2 adaptors and tried both in all four of the DC's ports and still no dice. I did notice from the controller's LEDs that for whatever reason the controller/transmitter could not detect the little receiver which is connected to the adaptor. However, all indicator lights were on and the VMU appeared to work as well.

I'll try one more wireless controller and put in an order for another brand of PS1/2-to-DC adaptor. Maybe it's an issue with the Innovation 'Dream Connection II' adaptor. I'll keep you guys in the loop.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Had these comments posted on the blog... some valuable info here:

#
At 4/11/2007 8:27 PM, Anonymous said…

I’ve tried using the EMS Total Control 2 PSX-DC adapter with the Logitech Action Cordless PS2 controller, and it doesn’t work. It doesn’t work even when a 9V adapter is used with the Total Control. :(

#
At 4/14/2007 7:06 PM, Anonymous said…

Hey same guy here as the previous post. Good news: although the Logitech controller didn’t work, my Mad Catz Microcon Wireless 330 controller does work with the Total Control adapter. So there is a wireless Dreamcast solution!
Aedes

by Aedes Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:33 am

Outstanding.

It's crazy, but before reading your post, I'd already put in an order for the 'Total Control 2' (at ztnetstore.com, ~$25 with s/h) and was eyeing the Mad Catz 'Microcon Wireless 330' for my next attempt.

I'll hit Target again, grab a 330, and check it out with the 'Dream Connection II' and should that fail, with the 'Total Control 2' when it arrives.

It would be totally sweet to confirm your other poster's results. I'll then have wireless for all my systems (NES, GEN, SNES, N64, DC, XBOX...although my Doc's wireless controllers for the N64 are pretty much useless).

Hope springs eternal. I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks!

Aedes
Return to Sega