Wireless Dreamcast Solution

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Aedes

Post by Aedes »

Works! :D

I just got the Mad Catz 'Microcon 330 Wireless' and it does indeed function with the Innovation 'Dream Connection II' (so, I'm sure it'll work with the 'Total Control 2' when it gets in as well).

I've only had it a few minutes and quickly tested it with Unreal Tournament. :!: The only problem I'm having is that the buttons are mapped in a VERY weird manner, particularly the analogs, making the game unplayable...hopefully this doesn't apply to all games or they can be programmed/mapped for different inputs in the options menu. I'll check it out with other games in my library. Otherwise, looks good.

Thanks again.

Aedes
Aedes

Post by Aedes »

Ok. Last post, I swear!

The Microcon 330 works well, but some games may or may not work with it.

I tried it with Unreal Tournament(UT), Carrier, and Cannon Spike. All original gd-roms, no bootlegs.

It worked flawlessly with Carrier and Cannon Spike.

However, UT is unplayable. I tried all of the controller button option configurations numerous times and you're either allowed to be strafing(forward/back/left/right), without being able to turn; or you can just control pitch and strafe left/right but no forward/back movement.

I suspect there are other games where this problem might popup. A compatability list might be useful as a reference.

But overall, if anybody is thinking about going wireless with the DC, it's definitely doable and worth it. Just be aware you might still need to break out the old wired controllers for a few games now and again.

cheers,

Aedes
Aedes

Post by Aedes »

Update:

I finished testing my DC games with the Madcatz 'Microcon 330' PSX/2 wireless controller and the Innovation 'Dream Connection II' (DCII).

Games that did NOT work: Armada, Grand Theft Auto 2, Unreal Tournament, and Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Games that worked fine: Cannon Spike, Carrier, Expendable, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Web Browser 2.0 (including Sega Swirl)

For the games that didn't work, it seems that something is incorrect with how the analog input is mapped; resulting in not being able to rotate or move properly. There does not seem to be a pattern with what games work/don't work.

I also tested the 'Total Control 2' (TC2) adapter with Unreal Tournament (UT) hoping a different adapter might work with a game where the DCII failed. Unfortunately, it didn't work with UT either. I think I'd have the same problem with the other games listed in the 'not working' category.

In comparing the 2 adapters, I think I prefer the DCII over the TC2. Both can be used with keyboards, but the DCII has VMU support and is notably smaller in size than the TC2.

Hope this info helps.

cheers,

Aedes