SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

What Should Sega Do With Their Great Franchises?

by racketboy Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:21 am

I already know my answer (I have another big post in the works), but I wanted to get your thoughts on what Sega should do with all their established franchises:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/04/ ... uture.html

With so many established brands, any other money-hungry company would exploit them for all they are worth...
Zork
32-bit

by Zork Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:38 pm

They are working on a next gen Golden Axe game but no details are out yet, the project may have also been canceled for all I know.

There is an Afterburner game coming out for the PSP, IGN did a preview on it a bit ago and they seemed to like what they played of it.

Personally I'd like to see a new Vectorman or TJ&E game. Either those or a new Panzer Dragoon or Shenmue. I've never played Panzer Dragoon Saga so I can't really comment on it.
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?lid=100018
^ My collection.

Please comment on Reviews in the Review Boards, it makes people feel like they didn't completely waste their time :)
marurun

by marurun Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:58 pm

Sega is losing their way. They need to look to Nintendo, sadly, for proper inspiration.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jubal
64-bit

by Jubal Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:54 pm

did anybody play the shinobi PS2 game? I know it got some crappy reviews, but it doesnt look bad... Im always down for some ninja shirken chuckin heh

-Jubal-
metaleggman
128-bit

by metaleggman Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:34 pm

marurun wrote:Sega is losing their way. They need to look to Nintendo, sadly, for proper inspiration.
Honestly, I think they should try to grab onto Nintendo and get a little help on their games. Maybe a lil' bit of Nintendo will rub off onto them.
Perseid
32-bit

by Perseid Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:36 pm

Shinobi has a terrible checkpoint system making you repeat sections of the game over and over. Other than that I thought the controls were OK.

So did Sega ever make Sega Party? Sonic R was Sega Kart right? I think Sega's big problem now is not enough new IP. When the Dreamcast was at its height Sega was making all sorts of cool unique games. They don't do that anymore. So what Sega should do with their franchises is put them away fora while and make something new. I must admit I could say this for most publishers nowadays though.
marurun

by marurun Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:54 pm

Well, there are really two aspects to Sega's current problems, I think. One is their lack of investing in new IP. The other is their failure to capitalize on existing IP. I can't imagine their current Sonic offerings being received well enough to be worth the monetary investment. At the same time, Sega's been around long enough as a company that it can be intimidating to build on all the properties they already have.

I suppose if I were at the helm I would divide all development ideas into two camps: those working with new properties or new mechanics and those working with revitalizing older franchises. Sega keeps taking their older franchises and bolting them onto newer gameplay mechanics, but those mechanics are largely swiped from competitors. The PS2 Shinobi could have been seen as an attempt to make a competitor to Ninja Gaiden, just as Phantasy Star Online was a response to MMOs. Sega should have responded to MMOs and Ninja Gaiden and so forth with new franchises, just as they created Sonic to tackle Mario instead of trying to keep mucking around with Alex Kidd.

This doesn't mean their existing franchises are worthless, but instead of trying to wedge existing IP into their competitors' models, they need to create new models to become the new competitor to beat.

I think if Sega revisited Shining Force and made the true Shining Force IV for a modern system, sticking to the turn-based map tactics but incorporating new elements, they could have a hit. And they've had a hit by creating something new rather than trying to push someone else off the hill they already built.

Sega Rally and Daytona and Scud Race, maybe they need to be combined into a new racing sim. Instead of trying to compete directly with Gran Tourismo and PGR, make a parallel game. Make an arcade competitor where you win new tracks and cars, or classic tracks and cars, and allow people to tweak, but keep it to a minimum. Put the focus back on the tracks, the racing, and the multi-player, but pull on all the key arcade racing franchises to do it.

And what of Phantasy Star? They've proven they can translate some of the ideas of Phantasy Star into 3D. Give up on the MMO path and give us a solid RPG experience. Phantasy Star had some unique qualities like combo attacks, macros, and now mags. Maybe a more traditional RPG with a 3rd person exploration view, a more open world ala Elder Scrolls or Kotor, but with traditional RPG combat. Give character component abilities that can be combined with other abilities, or the abilities of other characters.

And that's not even touching on the possibility of creating new franchises and new ideas.

</rant>
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
4ppleseed
64-bit

by 4ppleseed Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:03 am

First I would make ChuChu Rocket and Samba Da Amigo for Nintendo DS.

There was plenty of new IP made from the first generation of Sega games on the Dreamcast and some that was developed beforehand.

AM1 - House of the dead.
AM2 - Virtua Fighter, Shenmue.
AM3 - Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi.
AM4 - Monkey ball, Daytona.
AM5 - Sega Rally, Cosmic Smash.
AM6 - Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon.
AM7 - Phantasy Star, Shinobi series.
AM8 - Sonic, Ristar, Nights, ChuChu Rocket, Samba Da Amigo
AM9 - Rez and Space Channel 5
STI - Kid Chameleon, Comix Zone

Some of these are being developed for current Gen. I hope, behind the scenes that ALL are being given a run thru. Sega have plenty in them yet. I wouldn't worry so much.
vbt
16-bit

by vbt Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:34 am

Sega should do some sequels of their games but worth sequels, not just textures updates. I'm a bit disapointed by Virtua Tennis 3 for instance, there is nothing really new, the only interresting part was the online play but it not for all platform.
They have also to find new franchise, they don't look to search for new ideas like they did before. Actually, only Nintendo does innovative things.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:35 pm

vbt wrote:Sega should do some sequels of their games but worth sequels, not just textures updates. I'm a bit disapointed by Virtua Tennis 3 for instance, there is nothing really new, the only interresting part was the online play but it not for all platform.
They have also to find new franchise, they don't look to search for new ideas like they did before. Actually, only Nintendo does innovative things.

Well, that's usually what happens for launch titles.
Look at all the sports games that started the 360 out.
Return to Sega