Vanquish

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: Vanquish

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... ish-review

IGN, Gamespot and EG's reviews are full of praise. No doubt this is a brilliant game, but the length (or lack of) worries me.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

I got it yesterday, and I have to say it's great. I feel that comparing it to Gears is inaccurate though. The funny thing about cover in this game, is that you can't really fight from it. It can get destroyed too, so it's not always a safe option. You'll have to do all your fighting flying around the battlefield with the AR suit. I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm fairly sure it'll last me more than 4-6 hours. I'm playing it on hard, and it's tough as nails. The length isn't too important to me, 6 hours of gameplay that is crafted to absolute perfection sounds good to me. A shorter scenario is fitting for this game.

It truly doesn't feel like a run of the mill shooter though, that's the most important thing about it. The game really engages you. There was a part when I jumped out from cover and turned on the augmented reaction/slo mo, and could see a bullet about to hit me in the head, a robot about to smash my face in with his crazy blade weapon, and a heat seeking missile coming at me. You can see all this about to happen as clear as day, and it's an incredibly cool power to have. I was able to roll backwards, dodge the bullet and the robot's attack, and shoot the missile out of the air, killing all the surrounding enemies and sending my score counter ticking. I can't name any other shooter, or game, where anything this cool is possible. I'm always finding out awesome new ways to implement my suit. The game kind of forces you to use the suit as much as you can, and be "stylish", in the vein of Devil May Cry. I really suggest you play it on hard though, it makes it much more satisfying. You'll die a lot, and be forced to come up with better tactics.

I was surprised to see the reviews almost unanimously state the plot as the weakest point. I'm loving the story cutscenes, but I tend to like game stories that don't take themselves seriously. The game's storytelling can most accurately be described as Metal Wolf Chaos meets Metal Gear Solid 4. The plot is quite humorous, and I found the characters likeable.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

brunoafh wrote:I was surprised to see the reviews almost unanimously state the plot as the weakest point. I'm loving the story cutscenes, but I tend to like game stories that don't take themselves seriously. The game's storytelling can most accurately be described as Metal Wolf Chaos meets Metal Gear Solid 4. The plot is quite humorous, and I found the characters likeable.

Some inane plots can be entertaining. Was I looking for anything deep in Dead Rising 2? Nope. Of course it would have been a bonus to plaster a blatant anti-consumerism message, but then you get plots like Front Mission Evolved that make me irritated to the point of fury. Having to listen to that slut Pia Simpson's line repeating in the tedious boss battles can be trying believe me.

Destructoid's review is plain rubbish, by the way. Jim Sterling is a psychopath.
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

I played the demo for 360 last night and enjoyed it. The cover system has definitely been lifted from Gears of War. And at times, some of the gameplay aspects also reminded me of Dead Space.

I'm sure I'll buy this game eventually. But probably after I play Gears of War 2 first.
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

This by far is the finest TPS I've played. Story and length raise issues but then nothing's perfect. I'm confused about PG's status now. Hasn't head honcho defected to Bethesda's parent company?
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Pulsar_t wrote:This by far is the finest TPS I've played. Story and length raise issues but then nothing's perfect. I'm confused about PG's status now. Hasn't head honcho defected to Bethesda's parent company?

Yes, but hopefully this won't change anything and they'll just keep putting out excellent games as normal.
girlracer
Next-Gen

Post by girlracer »

Well I picked this game up from the pawn shop on thursday for $10 for 360 and I have to say I'm enjoying it.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

girlracer wrote:Well I picked this game up from the pawn shop on thursday for $10 for 360 and I have to say I'm enjoying it.

Oh, nice. I'm waiting for a used copy for the PS3 to be around that price before I pick one up. I love the demo, but I'm not willing to pay 50 bucks for a 4-6 hour game.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I worked out a trade for a sealed copy of this game - it is on its way to me too (PS3). Does it have decent multiplayer? Seems like a few of us will have it....
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

It doesn't have MP at all.