SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
manasol
16-bit

Retro buying spree today

by manasol Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:18 pm

I am going to meet some gentleman today! lol who is going to sell to me various gaming systems. I am looking for a Nintendo 64, a Sega Saturn, and a Dreamcast.

My cry for help is, can you help me in a few minutes become knowledgeable in Saturnese to know which one is the one I am looking for? Pictures? I don't think I have ever seen a saturn in my life outside of the pictures on racketboy's site and magazines. I want to mod it so I don't want to get the wrong one.

Also for the dreamcast should I be looking for a particular one? I want to try some backups.
Perseid
32-bit

by Perseid Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:30 pm

For the Dreamcast very few models were made that wouldn't read burned games and I don't think there is a way to tell. I wouldn't worry about it.

For the Saturn there is no sure-fire way to tell either, but in general oval buttons = bad, round buttons = good.

Bad: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Saturn-Game-co ... dZViewItem
Good: http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-SATURN-17-GAME ... dZViewItem

But, like I said, it's not 100% foolproof until you open it up.
manasol
16-bit

by manasol Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:34 pm

Thank you very much, Perseid. Such a great forum. Thanks Perseid. I wont get dooped now, lol. I am meeting this gentleman at Publix since I saw an ad of his on Craigslist and it's my first time dealing with anyone from the online world so Publix it is. LOl

Thanks again.
Abras
24-bit

by Abras Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:48 pm

Don't get raped now!

Watch, you show up and it's a Date Line episode :D
manasol
16-bit

by manasol Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:01 pm

I came back only with a n64 with no games! I am :( and a little shook up. The experience was scary and he was late. I thought I was going to get a 64 with a crap game for 25$. He says 45 or 40. I say 30. I think I overpayed. Did I overpay? Hell if I did it was for safety! :lol:

Plus it smells. I am going to open it to clean it. I think it must have a dead roach or something. I don't think I am going to use craigslist anymore, I'll stick to ebay. The postman is a much nicer experience.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:06 pm

manasol wrote:I came back only with a n64 with no games! I am :( and a little shook up. The experience was scary and he was late. I thought I was going to get a 64 with a crap game for 25$. He says 45 or 40. I say 30. I think I overpayed. Did I overpay? Hell if I did it was for safety! :lol:

Plus it smells.

You didn't work out the details beforehand?
manasol
16-bit

by manasol Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:06 pm

Yup, but I guess I really wanted it. What a fool I am.

Edit: It felt like a drug deal. lol Also racket I think I'll buy that pokemon from you, not locally. Could you give me the details?
Perseid
32-bit

by Perseid Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:45 am

$30 is okay if it works and comes with everything it's supposed to. Not a great deal but you also didn't pay shipping(but you did probably pay gas). At least you didn't buy something expensive. The difference between $25 and $30 isn't life-altering.
SegaK2
8-bit

by SegaK2 Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am

Wow - this thread blasted off with so much hope:

The hidden promise of an upcoming retrogaming acquisition extraodinaire!

We had a little bit of everything:

-The initial claim that Manasol was steppin' out and nothing was going to stop him (other than a quick plea for some system detail help)

-The stalwart board member helping out with sound advice

-The Return of Manasol, barely escaping the evil clutches of the retro pedophile with his skin intact (yet his wallet was $30 lighter)

Glad you made it out of there ok -- perhaps you should eBay that stinky N64 or give it to charity? Surely your brain will only be filled with thoughts of your creepy encounter if you game on this system?
Perseid
32-bit

by Perseid Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:50 am

Heh. When you plug it in it either shows you naked pictures of the creepy guy or displays a secret message from King George Mumbubu from Nigeria...
Return to Sega