What Should Beginners Know About The Dreamcast?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Zork wrote:The need to buy multiple VMUs, a problem I've recently had. I didn't realize how small VMUs really were in terms of capacity. Some games take up a lot of space on these things like Soul Reaver, which takes up at least 50 out of 200 Blocks, it's 50 or more. Shenmue and a lot of racing games end up taking up a lot of space as well.

I'm looking into some 1600 block card solutions. Since I have nearly 200 DC games (need to do a recount), my 800block card just isn't cutting it anymore. I want every single game to have it's own little chunk to use, permanently.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Mozgus wrote:
Zork wrote:The need to buy multiple VMUs, a problem I've recently had. I didn't realize how small VMUs really were in terms of capacity. Some games take up a lot of space on these things like Soul Reaver, which takes up at least 50 out of 200 Blocks, it's 50 or more. Shenmue and a lot of racing games end up taking up a lot of space as well.

I'm looking into some 1600 block card solutions. Since I have nearly 200 DC games (need to do a recount), my 800block card just isn't cutting it anymore. I want every single game to have it's own little chunk to use, permanently.

Let us know what you find. Are there any huge uncompressed solutions?
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

Put another 800 block card in the second slot!

.....Or as I do, get a dedicated VMU for fighters and multiplayer games, like bomberman, spawn, etc, usually one will do, one for shenmue and an 800 block card for all the rest.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Whats a good place to buy cards nowadays? Seems like many places have run out.
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

There's always a ton on ebay. Message boards (like this one) are also good places to get stuff like that.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

extrarice wrote:There's always a ton on ebay. Message boards (like this one) are also good places to get stuff like that.

Ebay doesn't have crap. There's dozens of single 200 block mad cats cards, which are probably crap. And theres a couple 800 block Performance cards, which people on Amazon complained about being faulty VERY often. I won't touch those. And theres this 1600 block Gameshark card which I am probably going to go after.

Also, this image is highly accurate:
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

I never had problems with third party cards at all, except for VMUTool, for some reason it will only save to an original VMU, but if you copy it from there to another card, there will be no problems
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Pullmyfinger wrote:I never had problems with third party cards at all, except for VMUTool, for some reason it will only save to an original VMU, but if you copy it from there to another card, there will be no problems

I haven't had any problems SAVING using VMUTool, no matter the card, but I have had many problems with some of it's unique features, like copying the "uncopyable" saves, changing the icons, and stuff like that. It tends to fail in many ways. I hope he puts out a new version soon. I'd really like him to get rid of that theme prompt at bootup.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Mozgus wrote:I'm looking into some 1600 block card solutions. Since I have nearly 200 DC games (need to do a recount), my 800block card just isn't cutting it anymore. I want every single game to have it's own little chunk to use, permanently.

Well the guy selling that card had a 2nd private account and bid an insane amount on his own item at the last minite, just because it didn't sell for a high enough price to please him. Note the private account's creation date being like a day after the "Seller's" account. What bullshit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0084205869

Where else can I find a big enough memory card anymore?
Last edited by Mozgus on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

all that to save him a few extra cents for a higher listing fee?