Saturn Games that use the Twin Sticks

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Kaz

Saturn Games that use the Twin Sticks

Post by Kaz »

I got a Saturn not too long ago and, being a big fan of mecha games, picked up the Twin Sticks for Virtual On on an impulse buy off eBay. As cool as they are, I haven't found a lot of documentation online concerning which games can use a twin stick setup. I know that you can technically use the Twin Sticks for any game, but I mean games that explicitly have a Twin Stick control mode. The ones that I've played have been a blast. These are the only games that I know of so far:

Virtual On (of course)
Gundam Gaiden II
Gundam Gaiden III
Gungriffon II

Are there any others that I don't know about, or are there really such few games that take advantage of this novel controller? They don't even have to be mech games; I just want to get the most out of my purchase.

Also, as a side note, I've been curious for some time as to whether or not the Twin Sticks were ever released domestically in the United States, as I can't say I've ever come across any that weren't Japanese. If anyone knows the answer to this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Kaz on Wed May 12, 2010 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn Games that use the Twin Sticks

Post by CRTGAMER »

Get the Total Control 3, then you can include Dreamcast Virtua On Tangram to your list.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Ah yes, I saw that on Play-Asia and that it actually has a Twin Stick mode. Which is awesome because when I do buy a Dreamcast, Virtual On Oratan is one of the first games I intend to get.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Snag them while you can, DC stuff will be harder to come by the longer you wait. Especially the adaptors.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

weasels
Next-Gen

Post by weasels »

you have the second gungriffon game listed...i wonder if the first gungriffon falls into that list as well. i love that game and was thinking of getting some sticks (and the dreamcast converter) sometime in the future. it would be cool to know that i could play that game with the sticks as well.
"ninja's wear clothing of every color so they can blend with the alphabet."-best friend concerning bushido blade 2.
my trade and sell list is right here: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20601

N64, saturn model 2, ds, Dreamcast, ps1, ps2, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, xbox, 3DO, psp slim (v.3001.)
feel free to PM/IM me if you feel like talking to me.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

The first Gungriffon was released something like 6 months prior to the Saturn Virtual On port, so unfortunately there is no Twin Stick support.
fingersmaloy
64-bit

Post by fingersmaloy »

You mysteriously left out Gundam Gaiden I. As far as I recall the sticks work for all three.

Unfortunately Bulk Slash doesn't have such a mode, but the game is probably too fast for it to work well anyway. Those are the only games I know of that use the sticks.
My game-related blog.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

God I wish I had twin sticks!
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

fingersmaloy wrote:You mysteriously left out Gundam Gaiden I. As far as I recall the sticks work for all three.

Gundam Gaiden I does not explicitly support a Twin Stick control scheme, though believe me, I wish it did. On Japanese Saturn games, there is a yellow box in the lower right hand corner of the back of the jewelcase with a bulleted list of features like number of players, game genre, RAM cart usage, memory backup, etc. On games that support Twin Stick controls, this feature is also indicated (albeit obviously in Japanese) as it is an official Sega peripheral. Gundam Gaiden I unfortunately has no such feature listed, nor does it feature a Twin Stick control diagram in the manual, whereas its sequels do. That, and I've tried in-game, and there's no option in the menu to set it to a Twin Stick control scheme.

If anyone else is curious whether or not a game they have supports Twin Stick controls and can't read Japanese, look for these characters in that yellow box I mentioned:

ツインスティック対応

fingersmaloy wrote:Unfortunately Bulk Slash doesn't have such a mode, but the game is probably too fast for it to work well anyway. Those are the only games I know of that use the sticks.

Ah, that's a shame, though I do honestly prefer them for first person mecha games rather than third person. It helps complete that in-cockpit feel.