Okay so I'm a relative novice Genesis owner but..

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Flake

Okay so I'm a relative novice Genesis owner but..

Post by Flake »

...I know that genesis games can look better than what I'm getting on my CRT. Any advice? I'm currently rocking the stock RF cable, which is probably my first mistake.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Okay so I'm a relative novice Genesis owner but..

Post by CRTGAMER »

RF is the worse connection. Best is first.
1 RGB SCART
2 S-Video
3 Composite
4 RF throw that cable away

See my signature link for comparisons. (LCD vs CRT)
Attachments
Genesis 1 RGB.jpg
Genesis 1 RGB.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
Genesis 2 RGB.jpg
Genesis 2 RGB.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

weasels
Next-Gen

Post by weasels »

you could always do this: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15118&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

i personally am very happy i did this myself...because like you i was using the RF. this is a cheap and inexpensive way of doing it. but it has alot more hands on work of course. but it's still very simple. only thing is if you have a genny model 1, you can't do this mod.
"ninja's wear clothing of every color so they can blend with the alphabet."-best friend concerning bushido blade 2.
my trade and sell list is right here: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20601

N64, saturn model 2, ds, Dreamcast, ps1, ps2, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, xbox, 3DO, psp slim (v.3001.)
feel free to PM/IM me if you feel like talking to me.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

CRTGAMER wrote:throw that cable away

NO!!!

weasels wrote:you could always do this: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15118&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

YES!!!

As you can see in the above link, you can easily turn your RF adapter into a composite cable. You don't have to know how to solder, you can just twist the wires together (although soldering is always better). It's dead simple to do, takes 20 minutes tops, and wont cost you a dime if you have a spare composite cable lying around.
Assman
24-bit

Post by Assman »

Personally, I was completely content with a composite connection for the CRT I had (my LCD's a different story, obviously). Any improved connection beyond that may not even be very noticeable if your CRT is SD.

I think I'd check out composite before I tried anything else as that'll be by far the cheapest/easiest option. It's not necessarily a huge step up from RF, but S-video requires a console mod, and getting RGB through SCART in the US will force you to buy a (not so cheap) converter box of some kind.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I would say that Composite is indeed a huge step up from RF. I'd say that s-video and component are only minor improvements by comparison. ...at least on a SD CRT

I'm not even much of a video quality snob but I still can't stand RF.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

emwearz's idea of modding a RF box to composite looks great.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15118&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
As Ziggy587 pointed out, price is right with spare cables lying around, free!

Alternative is a pre made Composite cable, runs about 10 bucks at Amazon. Take your pick.
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Video-Sega-Genesis-System-Mk-1601/dp/B002FY0CM0
http://www.amazon.com/Composite-Sega-Genesis-System-2-3/dp/B002GCFI2K
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

AppleQueso wrote:I would say that Composite is indeed a huge step up from RF. I'd say that s-video and component are only minor improvements by comparison. ...at least on a SD CRT

I'm not even much of a video quality snob but I still can't stand RF.

This.

However, for old SD content, I'm still fine with composite on my HDTV.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I think composite looks a LOT better than RF too. Especially since the RF's seem to break down in quality over the years. I have some old ones that will give my TV fuzz even when the console isn't on. I finally ditched the last of my need for RFs when I turned my Genesis and Saturn RFs into composite cables, and I'm never going back!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

RF cables are really cloudy and generally a bit darker than the color should be, as people have all ready pointed you to the RF >> Composite guide, i suggest you give that a shot.