SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

My First Love

by samsonlonghair Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Like many of you, I grew up playing Super Mario Bros. on my Nintendo. In 1991 I was seven-years-old, and it was time for an upgrade. I went to Toys “R” Us with two hundred Geoffrey dollars I received for Christmas the previous year. I made my very first purchase that day—a purchase I never regretted.

When I got home I tore apart the cardboard box. I inspected the sleek black finish on every inch of my new purchase. I ran my fingers over the raised lettering that read 16-BIT. I pushed the volume slider all the way up to ten. I plugged my cartridge into the slot just below the phrase HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS, and I flipped the power switch to ON. A synthesized chorus told me the name of the company. Amazing colors and music flowed from my TV that afternoon. I became a hero who saved my woodland friends from a mad scientist’s evil robots. The base thumped as my nemesis swung his red disco ball at me, but I was victorious. I was convinced video games would never get better than this.

Without realizing it, I had fallen in love with Sega Genesis.

Last Summer I packed up everything I owned and moved to a new house. After I moved all my furniture in, I started unpacking my movies and video games. Everything else was packed neatly into its own little box, but where was my Genesis? I flipped out my pocket knife and cut open every cardboard box. I systematically checked box after box. After going in circles for days looking for my beloved Sega Genesis, I had no idea where it was. Could it have gotten lost in the move? I was grief-stricken by my loss. After I finished unpacking the last box, I had to come to grips with the idea that I’d never see my original Genesis again.

Time went by, and I played lots of other consoles. I even bought myself a Gamecube, but nothing filled the void. Last night by pure chance I was rearranging the books on my bookshelf. I noticed a box had fallen behind my bookshelf. Could it be? I tore apart the cardboard box just as I had that fateful day in 1991. There, looking back at me, was my long lost Genesis. I picked it up and kissed it right on the Sega Genesis logo. I quickly connected my beloved console to the TV and I felt the same wonder I felt when I was seven.

I have been reunited with my first love.
puke_face

Re: My First Love

by puke_face Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:07 pm

That was beautiful .... :cry:. Congrats on being re-united with your one, true love. I had a similar experience with my Game Gear. I have since found it, and started buying a few games/accessories for it. Got if for x-mas the first year is was out from my aunt. She is still my favorite aunt to this day, even though she hasn't bought me a video game, let alone another console since :lol: .
wakeup
32-bit

by wakeup Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm

If that was an English vignette up for marks in a Writing 12 class, I would give 85/100. Good description to show the story instead of telling it. :lol:

But I expected some love story from the topic title haha. Good nonetheless.
dgamemuster
128-bit

by dgamemuster Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:40 pm

.....so when is the wedding? :mrgreen:
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

by Snickerd00dle Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:53 pm

similar thing happened to me actually!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 pm

puke_face wrote:Congrats on being re-united with your one, true love.

Thank you. I'm so happy to have my Genesis back.
wakeup wrote:If that was an English vignette up for marks in a Writing 12 class, I would give 85/100. Good description to show the story instead of telling it.

Everybody's a critic. I thought I did a good job dividing the story in half and repeating elements and structure from the first half in the second half.
dgamemuster wrote:.....so when is the wedding?

That would take all the thrill out of the relationship.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:56 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:That would take all the thrill out of the relationship.

QFT!
Haha :lol:
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:15 pm

emwearz wrote:

samsonlonghair wrote:That would take all the thrill out of the relationship.

QFT!
Haha :lol:

:lol: (also)
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:28 pm

Good story!

I'll buy your Genesis if you are selling :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:39 pm

I just have a question. How could a box big enough to fit a Genesis fit behind your book self and you couldn't see it? Do you keep your book shelf a foot from the wall or am I some how missing something? The story was fine but it feels like there is a big plot hole. I must know to feel complete. :mrgreen:
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Return to Sega