SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
metaleggman
128-bit

by metaleggman Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:37 am

Weapons and Vehicles. That, and there are way too many people involved nowadays. Yes it's in the real world or some crazy shizz, but why do you need dozens of weird lookin people walking around?

As for newer games, I did enjoy Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. I actually did get a sense of speed from playing the Sonic and Shadow stages. I guess I'm alone on that one. Though I did hate the whole Knuckles finding shard shit. Its just annoying as hell, that and the Grading system. I hate grading systems in video games, always seem to prefer to buy stuff, mainly cuz it's more like real life that way. It's not like you get an A in school and suddenly you have a car. You do something to make money, then you buy a car.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:46 am

In case you haven't read it yet, here's my expanded thoughts in article format:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/12/ ... gehog.html
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:16 am

racketboy wrote:In case you haven't read it yet, here's my expanded thoughts in article format:

I read it yesturday. Nice one. However, the following line might appear hostile to some:

While the Super Mario Bros. franchise was definitely colored with personality and great gameplay, the Sonic the Hedgehog titles on the Genesis and Sega CD offered an very exciting alternative to those that weren't Nintendo fanboys.

:lol:
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:01 pm

Mozgus wrote:
racketboy wrote:In case you haven't read it yet, here's my expanded thoughts in article format:

I read it yesturday. Nice one. However, the following line might appear hostile to some:

While the Super Mario Bros. franchise was definitely colored with personality and great gameplay, the Sonic the Hedgehog titles on the Genesis and Sega CD offered an very exciting alternative to those that weren't Nintendo fanboys.

:lol:

Eeh... can't help it if the truth hurts :) That's the way it was back then. You were either a Nintendo fanboy or a Sega fanboy. There weren't many people that were level-headed adults that were on both sides. Most of us were kids or teenagers.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:29 pm

racketboy wrote:Eeh... can't help it if the truth hurts :) That's the way it was back then. You were either a Nintendo fanboy or a Sega fanboy. There weren't many people that were level-headed adults that were on both sides. Most of us were kids or teenagers.

There were no console wars in my childhood until the 32 bit stuff came. We didn't care who owned what. All we cared about was if they shared.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Mozgus wrote:
racketboy wrote:Eeh... can't help it if the truth hurts :) That's the way it was back then. You were either a Nintendo fanboy or a Sega fanboy. There weren't many people that were level-headed adults that were on both sides. Most of us were kids or teenagers.

There were no console wars in my childhood until the 32 bit stuff came. We didn't care who owned what. All we cared about was if they shared.

Seriously? Wow -- I wasn't a Sega snob, but I did feel that Sega and Sonic was significantly better. Most of my friends in elementary school and NESs and SNESs and I played with them and all.

In high school pretty much all of my friends had Segas. I remember how envious I was of my friends that had the Sega CD and 32X when they were new. As much crap as people give the add-ons now, they were still a sweet upgrade back then.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:50 pm

racketboy wrote:Seriously? Wow -- I wasn't a Sega snob, but I did feel that Sega and Sonic was significantly better. Most of my friends in elementary school and NESs and SNESs and I played with them and all.

In high school pretty much all of my friends had Segas. I remember how envious I was of my friends that had the Sega CD and 32X when they were new. As much crap as people give the add-ons now, they were still a sweet upgrade back then.

Keep in mind I'm 21. So basically, all of my years in elementary were bliss. Personally, I didn't even jump from my NES until Jan 1995 when I saved up enough to buy a used genesis. But all my friends had owned the 16 bit stuff since they launched and I would always go over to their houses to play, and they were constantly sharing as well. I don't recall anyone being anything close to fanboys. Maybe that's why I miss those years so much. A bunch of us would go to one kid's house for TMNT4, and then we'd go over to another kid's house for Streets of Rage 3. It was all good.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Mozgus wrote:
racketboy wrote:Seriously? Wow -- I wasn't a Sega snob, but I did feel that Sega and Sonic was significantly better. Most of my friends in elementary school and NESs and SNESs and I played with them and all.

Keep in mind I'm 21. So basically, all of my years in elementary were bliss. Personally, I didn't even jump from my NES until Jan 1995 when I saved up enough to buy a used genesis. But all my friends had owned the 16 bit stuff since they launched and I would always go over to their houses to play, and they were constantly sharing as well. I don't recall anyone being anything close to fanboys. Maybe that's why I miss those years so much. A bunch of us would go to one kid's house for TMNT4, and then we'd go over to another kid's house for Streets of Rage 3. It was all good.

Yeah, I keep forgetting I'm the old man around here (I'm going on 27). The Saturn was just coming out when I finished up high school and never knew anybody that had one. In college, I kinda lost touch with the gaming world for a while (and everything else pop culture).

We usually played PC games and some people had Playstations and N64s. Emulators were pretty popular too.
Actually, anything that was easy to pirate was popular in college.

My junior year, I finally got a Dreamcast -- the only one I knew that ever had one.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:10 pm

Sonic's facial tumor. It grows with every sequel. Eventually it will kill the hedgehog, and Sega will go out of business. :cry:
Zork
32-bit

by Zork Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:12 am

Now a good way to fix this problem would be if Sega took a poll from their fans like "What do you think makes a good Sonic game?" or something along those lines. It may not have been the question I'm looking for but it's honestly all that comes up.
Return to Sega